Using samples
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using samples

Default Using samples

Just wanted to know how some of you use samples and loops. More so with Dubstep, Drum & Bass, and Electro House. I have various samples/loop libraries and I am starting to hear some of them in known songs. Like I don't believe there's an issue with it because sometimes you need that certain sound to please the genre.

I use them normally chopping them up with other loops because I have a hard time making the sounds. I don't think I am cheating because I am still creating just differently then the better folks.

Iono I'm sure this has been asked before but it's kind of an ongoing thing I think about. Sometimes I want to use a whole loop for a song but stop myself to avoid being called a cheat or theft.

Any thoughts? I'm pretty much done vomiting now. At least until a unneeded remake.

don't feel ashamed to use the hell out of loops and samples, people wouldn't make loop and sample library if they did not expect them to get used. the only thing i would say to avoid using loops for is the main melody of your tune even then a sample cut and sliced can be something completely original when your done with it.

sometimes too many loops will give you a generic sound and in a genre of music where everyone is pushing for there "own sound" over use of samples can be counter intuitive but when used correctly there a EDM staple. take for example the Amen brake is essential Drum and Bass at its core, but use of only that sample can sound cheesy. now take that same Amen and layer the bass and snares for some diversity add some ghost snares and some hats and you have 174 bpm gold. the trick is to put your on spin on the samples.

as far as being called a cheat or a thief in my experience most producers of music are very supportive and don't tend to throw words like that around.

Thanks for your closure. So basically doing what I am doing isn't so bad then because I tend to chop loops when needed.

Great post, typeomega!!!

To the OP - just do whatever the hell you want! If what you're doing sounds good to you, great - that's the sound YOU are developing to represent YOU.

If I could start over again (in EVERYTHING I ever tried my hand at...) I would take NO NOTICE to ANYTHING ANYONE SAYS about what you are and are not allowed to do to develop your own style.

SERIOUSLY - the absolute BEST THING you can do to develop your style, is copy absolutely everything you like. Then take little pieces from every source that you've copied, and use those pieces to make your own, individual style.

TRUST ME - that is exactly what a huge number of successful creative people have done. Also, it is possibly the best (fastest?) way to develop your style.

As well as using other people for inspiration, you'll also throw your own ideas in there, too. Don't forget, your own ideas are based on your own experiences, so, by copying (biting, stealing - whatever you want to call it!) you are actually arming your brain with MORE experience to draw on in building your own ideas.

I know it's common sense, but people ARE put off developing their own ideas when they are told to miss out the essential step in arming yourself to MAKE your own ideas, which is building a knowledge base which you can draw upon.

The only way to build your knowledge base it to BITE THE SHIT out of everything you like!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Great post, typeomega!!!

To the OP - just do whatever the hell you want! If what you're doing sounds good to you, great - that's the sound YOU are developing to represent YOU.

If I could start over again (in EVERYTHING I ever tried my hand at...) I would take NO NOTICE to ANYTHING ANYONE SAYS about what you are and are not allowed to do to develop your own style.

SERIOUSLY - the absolute BEST THING you can do to develop your style, is copy absolutely everything you like. Then take little pieces from every source that you've copied, and use those pieces to make your own, individual style.

TRUST ME - that is exactly what a huge number of successful creative people have done. Also, it is possibly the best (fastest?) way to develop your style.

As well as using other people for inspiration, you'll also throw your own ideas in there, too. Don't forget, your own ideas are based on your own experiences, so, by copying (biting, stealing - whatever you want to call it!) you are actually arming your brain with MORE experience to draw on in building your own ideas.

I know it's common sense, but people ARE put off developing their own ideas when they are told to miss out the essential step in arming yourself to MAKE your own ideas, which is building a knowledge base which you can draw upon.

The only way to build your knowledge base it to BITE THE SHIT out of everything you like!!!
    I took this post to heart and ran with it. I feel if I hear something that sparks an idea off it I shouldn't shy away from it just because its a loop. You guys are right they are made for a reason, and I think it takes a lot of creativity to build something unique from something distributed to the masses.

obviously loops are made to be used, but i'd personally never use a loop 'as it is'

^why not? That's a pretty broad statement, as there are great loops that sound good "as is".
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

This argument was the downfall of the golden era of hip hop. I know you wanna know bout drum & bass, dubstep, and electro but I feel everyone working in production or music in general should watch the film "copyright criminals". You will learn a lot. And its on netflix so have at thee friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Yes. I started out with Champagne and Bananas and last week I brought a big cake and threw it at the crowd.

This Saturday night I'm bringing two greyhounds and sitting them next to the CDJ's on stage.

My music sucks but no one ever notices.

>

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    ^why not? That's a pretty broad statement, as there are great loops that sound good "as is".
    because it feels lazy. and i don't want to hear a random tune from producer xy with exactly same drums as mine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast