RGAS dilema - Z2 vs DB2 vs DJM850 vs DJM900
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default RGAS dilema - Z2 vs DB2 vs DJM850 vs DJM900

OK... we all know this one... mixer choice.

I had a DJM800 about 6 months ago and sold it, found it had a bit of a sharp metallic sound. I was gonna buy a DJM900 but I stalled cause... well it's a shit load of cash for a home mixer. So i got a DJM250 as a stop gap, actually a nice little mixer

But I'm gasping for a new mixer

So I'm going to write out my pros and cons and thought i'd do it on here

I already have an Audio 10 and TSP2 just for the record. I also really want to buy a maschine and possibly Komplete 9

Z2 - The logical one - £499
    PROS: Affordable (can buy a Maschine and Komplete too no drama), top notch sound quality, built in TSP2 cert sound card, USB hub is tidy... like the idea of 1 cable
    CONS: Just a bit toyish to touch IMO.

DB2 - The alternative sexy one - £899
    PROS: Affordable (though dearer than a Z2 but would only buy a maschine too not Komplete ), top notch sound quality, nice new FX to play with
    CONS: No built in TSP2 card, short VU meters though they are actually plenty good enough, will it satisfy RGAS?? or will I still crave another mixer

DJM 850 - The strong contender - £1299
    PROS: Built in TSP2 cert card, layout and touch I like and am used to, can bring to gigs and headline acts will like / understand
    CONS: Expensive... and is not quite a DJM 900, say one day I get 2K Nexus I will be gutted I never got a DJM 900

DJM 900 - The ultimate RGAS quencher - £1599
    PROS: Built in TSP2 cert card, layout and touch I like and am used to, can bring to gigs and headline acts will like / understand. ITs the ultimate RGAS quencher
    CONS: So EXPENSIVE... couldn't buy Maschine too. And other than a few fx it's 3 times the price of the Z2.

So... i know I should just get a Z2... but I don't want one really, well I do... but oh i dunno

Help a brother out!!
    Last edited by MaxOne; 06-09-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

Get a Xone 92 an Maschine.

I will say DB2 out of your choices, but I picked the DB4 over the DJM 900 because the 900 wasn't enough of an upgrade for me after the DJM 800.

DB2 is a very nice bit of kit though, and I would have bought it, but just thought fuck it, if I'm paying that much for a mixer, whats a few hundred more? And got the DB4.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

DB2 = £899
    DB4 = £1799

That's more that a few hundred quid...

I don't like Xone 92s for home use... doens't have good cue/master heaphone option for when i mix in headphones... also dont like line fader curve... also i want digital.

also I'm loath to pay that much for a DB4... i'm not that desperate for one. I'd take a DJM900 over a DB4 personally. But i don't want to turn this thread into a DJM900 vs DB4 cause I'm personally never going to get a DB4 and it's my thread

Thanks for your answer though, i'll take it as a vote towards DB2.
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

I have a Z2, Maschines, and Komplete 9 Ultimate, and wouldn't trade the latter two for a different mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    I have a Z2, Maschines, and Komplete 9 Ultimate, and wouldn't trade the latter two for a different mixer.
    Good answer

Tech Guru

I've heard a lot of complaints about the DB2 sound card, especially about the terrible latency it gives.

Look around for B-Stock DJMs and you might find a nice deal. I got my 900 for £1250 brand new with warranty.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Can't help, mate. I'm in a very similar situation - DJM850 or Z2...

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread....
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Can't help, mate. I'm in a very similar situation - DJM850 or Z2...

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread....
    It's a killer!!! Everything except my heart says just get an Z2... but RGAS isn't interested in anything but what the heart says I dont think...

I'm now looking at 2nd hand DJM900 and just get a maschine etc further down the line.

Like it's literally all I think about at the moment!?!!! Sort of willing to pay any money to make the thinking go away

Wow we almost practically in the same situation mate. Now I don't need to write up my own thread.. I think the only difference is your budget is slightly higher than mine. I've set a budget of around $1000 for my mixer. I recently picked up some sl1210's and now I'm looking for a mixer to match.

From my options I was looking at either a 2nd hand DJM800, DJM 750, Denon X1600, 2nd hand DB2, or A&H 62. I was looking at buying the Z2 at first, but I don't want to be limited to only 2 channels in the future, and I also want something that isn't locked to only Traktor. I don't know what to do mate..

Ok back on topic ha ha ha.. From your list that you've listed, and with that budget, I'd probably say get the DJM 850 bro..
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Ha nice one Dustin. Yeah the 850 is a lovely mixer. I think the db2 might just frustrate me a bit... Z2 is great on paper but a mixer is the heart of a set up and I think I've decided an 850 or 900 would quench the RGAS...

Gonna look out for a second hand 900 and then get an 850 if I can't wait

BTW you should get an 850 for sure... worth the extra money on all your suggestions IMO
    Last edited by MaxOne; 06-09-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast