How should I sell my old vinyl?

Default How should I sell my old vinyl?

Lately I've been hitting up a ton a garage sales and buying up vinyl. While I've found a few jems to add to my collection, a lot of it I really don't care to listen to. Stuff like polka, old country, big band etc. Selling them individually on ebay seems like a pain in the ass. Should I just take them to a record store and see what they will give me for them? Would a record store even want this stuff? Should I just keep it and try for some gigs at a nursing home? lol
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

I'm not sure if you have Half Price Bookstores in your area, but the one near me buys any and everything. They don't pay much though =/

ebay, craigslist, record stores, keep it...whatever you want.

ebay will probably net you the most, but it's the most work. you could also sell as a bulk package for less money. craigslist would be a good local bet if you don't mind people coming and rummaging through. record stores are going to give you very little since they also have to be able to sell it at a reasonable price.

i have over 10,000 records of all genres from the early 1900's to today. i don't think that i will sell them. i haven't even listened to most of them, but when i go digging i find some odd, eclectic gems. tons of sampling opportunities there as well.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

a lot of people use Discogs

http://www.discogs.com/

this probably wouldn't work if you want to sell a whole batch

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    a lot of people use Discogs

http://www.discogs.com/

this probably wouldn't work if you want to sell a whole batch
    This.

I get loads of vinyl from here and also sell the occasional bit, very good way of getting your vinyl sold
    1x Allen & Heath Xone K2, 1xXone K1, Edirol PCR M1, 4x Numark TTXUSB, Audio10 and a truck load of vinyl...

Tech Guru

Record stores will get you maybe 30-50% of what they're actually worth.

If you have stuff like jazz and whatnot I may be interested. I'm building up a vinyl collection.

Tech Mentor

Look em up and catalogue them online on sites like Discogs, Gemm, Musicstack .... and sort them into genres, keepers, sellers, sellers of value, etc ...as you go. Then you can put the low value ones you want to sell into genre or label bundles on eBay (with a couple of higher value ones to help attract bidders) and sell the higher value ones individually on the other sites.
    A top tip to save money on cardboard stiffeners when you post them ... some sellers just use vinyl from their collection that's worth less than buying stiffeners.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Look em up and catalogue them online on sites like Discogs, Gemm, Musicstack .... and sort them into genres, keepers, sellers, sellers of value, etc ...as you go. Then you can put the low value ones you want to sell into genre or label bundles on eBay (with a couple of higher value ones to help attract bidders) and sell the higher value ones individually on the other sites.
    A top tip to save money on cardboard stiffeners when you post them ... some sellers just use vinyl from their collection that's worth less than buying stiffeners.
    +1

That'll probably get you the most money, and be the most time effective method. Definitely recommend the ebay bulk thing, very easy way to get rid of stuff people normally wouldn't buy.

Tech Guru

The best vinyl checker for EBay auctions is Popsike. I used to be a regular visitor some years ago when I had the time to sell bits of vinyl. Really good for rare stuff, the less valuable stUff doesn't get included.
    eBay is tons of work and there are rogues out there who will exploit you.
    Discogs is great but only certain stuff shifts. I doubt you will be able to move much big band etc on any site. Jazz, classical, old skool, soul, funk, reggae etc still have strong markets though.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.