Dumb Question about using Presonus Firebox

Default Dumb Question about using Presonus Firebox

So I just bought my first external soundcard which is a presonus firebox.
    As this is my first time using an external device I have one question I haven't been able to answer myself.
    Instead of the RCA cables, this sound card uses TRS (tip Ring Sleeve) or TS (Tip Sleeve) cables to connect to monitors. I just don't know how to connect this cables or if I should get TRS to RCA cables, they seem to be hard to find here in Colombia, and in places llike Amazon I just seem to find a few avaliable choices.
    I think I can use the S/PDIF out to connect the rca cables, but I think It would be better if I use the main outs.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Music is communication, as any other form of creation.
    SoundCloud
    MBP 13", Traktor Pro, Presonus Firebox, Numark Stealth, Akai MPD-18, Behringer speakers.

hey, I think those are the same as 1/4 phono plugs like lots of headphones have. I am not 100% positive of that but try searching "phono adaptor rca"
    or "1/4 adaptor rca"

I found a few cheap ones you might want something better

http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Plug-Fe...926133&sr=8-16

also if you didnt know stereo ones have a extra black band around it (mono just has 1 stripe) you can see here this one is stereo

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MCL-MS...2926093&sr=8-4

hopefully someone else can confirm
    Last edited by kaleaf; 09-14-2009 at 06:09 AM.

Afaik TRS provides the option of a balanced output over TS (unbalanced) due to the 3rd contact, so provided the level is the same (?) the jack should convert to stereo RCA as kaleaf said

You wouldn't be able to use the Coaxial S/PDIF as it outputs a digital signal, despite the connector being physically identical to a mono RCA
    MacBook, Vestax VCI-300 with Serato Itch
    www.djlantau.com | www.youtube.com/djlantau | www.soundcloud.com/djlantau

those are mono outputs on the back of the firebox so you need 2 1/4" mono to rca cords per stereo output you want.

Oops my bad (didn't realise they were mono, which I should've!)
    MacBook, Vestax VCI-300 with Serato Itch
    www.djlantau.com | www.youtube.com/djlantau | www.soundcloud.com/djlantau

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    those are mono outputs on the back of the firebox so you need 2 1/4" mono to rca cords per stereo output you want.
    Hi,
    thought i could jump on this thread to get my answer- so i need two 1/4" cables per stereo output i want- i understand that. If I only want one stereo output to go into a club mixer, plug one 1/4" into channel 1 and one 1/4" into channel 2?
    thanks!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

There is a lot of nonesense in this thread..!

This is the cable you need for the Firebox (in all circumstances)

Guys this is the third time ive posted this recently.
    Does nobody SEARCH the forum !!!

In Traktor
    Main Output - 1 and 2
    Headphone - 7 and 8

You can assign 3 and 4 to Recording and use that as an output the Monitor/Booth if needed.

Dont forget to check the Presonus Mixer App.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 10-23-2009 at 09:36 PM.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    There is a lot of nonesense in this thread..!

This is the cable you need for the Firebox (in all circumstances)

Guys this is the third time ive posted this recently.
    Does nobody SEARCH the forum !!!
    wow. thats a nice welcome. just bcz ive only posted a couple times doesnt mean im an idiot or should be responded to like i am one. i asked a specific question about how the cable should be plugged into the mixer. did you read the question? i am also using 1/4" to 1/4"- no rca.
    i did search the forum quite a bit. if there is a thread that answers my question, i will walk away shamed. but i dont think there is.
    thanks for the welcome.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

OMG dude thats a little touchy...
    I didnt actually say you , or that you were and idiot so please spare me the false accusation, it wont stick.

The post by Kaleaf was wholly incorrect (the nonesense i was refering to) in response to the Original Post. Im answering the Original Post by the thread starter. Thats kinda how it works...

I wouldnt say anything to a new member that i wouldnt say to a regular. In fact i have 'some' experience with Forums and how to address people, especially noobies. Im not in the business of making new members feel unwelcome. Quite the opposite.

If i wanted to address you in particular i would have put @wobblelf at the start of my post.

Whatever... You try and help and ... tsk. Forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by wobblelf View Post
    Hi,
    thought i could jump on this thread to get my answer- so i need two 1/4" cables per stereo output i want- i understand that. If I only want one stereo output to go into a club mixer, plug one 1/4" into channel 1 and one 1/4" into channel 2?
    thanks!
    if your mixer has 1/4 inputs, then you would plug one 1/4 jack into the L side of the input and one 1/4 jack into the R side of the input. if your mixer has rca inputs, then you get the adapter cable like the pic provided and plug one rca input to the right side and one to the left side of a single channel in the mixer.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk