Anyone run 2.6.1 on an older Macbook Pro (mid 2007)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Anyone run 2.6.1 on an older Macbook Pro (mid 2007)

I've been struggling to find a computer with the little cash I have lately that will run Traktor without hiccups. I own a cruddy HP g72 that can barely run 2.1.2 with and Audio Kontrol 1 interface. My buddy has an old MBP from 2007 that he never uses with a core 2 duo @ 2.6ghz, 4gb ddr2 667mhz ram and 200gb 7200rpm harddrive. He said he would sell it to me cheap and for one, I feel that OSX just does a better job with background processing and allows little to no CPU spikes. Compared to the computer I have now which spikes all the time. And i know, "check the windows optimization page on NI website". The guide works for the most part, but who wants to strip down their entire computer everytime they want to dj? i just want to hop into the program whenever I want and not have to worry about turning off this and that driver. Anyway, the reason I'm debating is because I'm also looking at the z2 mixer which only works with 2.6. LONG STORY SHORT, would this MBP he has cut it and have a lower CPU load then my current computer?

I run 2.6.1 on a 2008 Macbook Air with 2gb of RAM and a SSD.

That said it's far from perfect, shits it self in hot environments and struggles with heavy effects.. Also multi-tasking can be a bit of a drainer.

But basic 2 track mixing works sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by glasdaddy View Post
    The guide works for the most part, but who wants to strip down their entire computer everytime they want to dj? i just want to hop into the program whenever I want and not have to worry about turning off this and that driver
    based on personal experience i recommend you first try the dual boot option: use EASEUS Partition Master (free) to create separate partition, install whatever win you have at hand (there are loads of shrinked version of winXP that work great).
    google search "dual boot" for guides (don't worry, it's very easy)

just to show you how much of a difference that makes: i have a really crappy 2006 Lenovo 3000 N100, Intel Core 2 Duo T5300(1.73GHz), 2GB RAM, 120GB 5400rpm HD and I can run Traktor Pro 1.2.7, have 3 USB devices connected (5ms latency on soundcard), 4 decks running with FX and still barely over 50% on CPU meter (of course, that was only a test, I usually use only 2 decks with 1 FX engaged at a time and with like 5-10% on CPU meter).
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

I run 2.6.1 on a 2008 Macbook (non-pro) 2.0gHz Dual core w/ 8GB RAM and haven't had any issues yet. I don't use TONS of effects, but definitely run the thing without resetting/shutting down for MONTHS on end and have never had a crash.

Sounds like an awesome deal man, once you go Mac you never go back.

2007 macbook pro, 2gb of ram, and the stock HDD, and I'm running the latest version of Traktor. No issues what-so-ever.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

Baisically - DO IT
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Remoire View Post
    I run 2.6.1 on a 2008 Macbook (non-pro) 2.0gHz Dual core w/ 8GB RAM and haven't had any issues yet. I don't use TONS of effects, but definitely run the thing without resetting/shutting down for MONTHS on end and have never had a crash.

Sounds like an awesome deal man, once you go Mac you never go back.
    I did :P

But if its cheap I guess you cant complain. A clean install of his laptop would most likely do the trick. I dont run any of that NI optimization stuff... but realistically. If you dont gig alot, and dont have a dedicated Laptop for Djing like most recommend, Id do the dual boot recommendation.

An i3 2ghz in his Laptop should have no issues running traktor with decent to average latency. Personal choice in the end for him really. Because windows is so mainstreams its easy to slow down your laptop to non acceptable traktor standards by simply browsing to pages you probably shouldnt be, pirating software etc.

In fact his current spec is better than the mac spec.. shrug.

Refrain from using it for entertainment purposes, or dual boot
    Last edited by balakoth; 06-13-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glasdaddy View Post
    I've been struggling to find a computer with the little cash I have lately that will run Traktor without hiccups. I own a cruddy HP g72 that can barely run 2.1.2 with and Audio Kontrol 1 interface. My buddy has an old MBP from 2007 that he never uses with a core 2 duo @ 2.6ghz, 4gb ddr2 667mhz ram and 200gb 7200rpm harddrive. He said he would sell it to me cheap and for one, I feel that OSX just does a better job with background processing and allows little to no CPU spikes. Compared to the computer I have now which spikes all the time. And i know, "check the windows optimization page on NI website". The guide works for the most part, but who wants to strip down their entire computer everytime they want to dj? i just want to hop into the program whenever I want and not have to worry about turning off this and that driver. Anyway, the reason I'm debating is because I'm also looking at the z2 mixer which only works with 2.6. LONG STORY SHORT, would this MBP he has cut it and have a lower CPU load then my current computer?
    If that G72 is the i3 330M version, it'll ANNIHILATE the MBP. Even if it's the older T4400-based unit, it'll still be just as capable of running Traktor 2.6.

If you're having problems running Traktor, then your install is clearly fucked. Do a clean install of Windows 8 (from the MSDN/Retail ISO), don't install any HP crapware or AV software, and you'll be in heaven. As balakoth said, a dual boot with just Traktor/iTunes/Quicktime on the W8 partition would be perfect. You can keep your iTunes library on your other partition and just boot into 8 when you need to prep/practice.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    If that G72 is the i3 330M version, it'll ANNIHILATE the MBP. Even if it's the older T4400-based unit, it'll still be just as capable of running Traktor 2.6.
    Notebookcheck seems to say otherwise. They are about on par with each other as far as processor specs go.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Notebookcheck seems to say otherwise. They are about on par with each other as far as processor specs go.
    Wrong, of course.

Just to clarify the reasons WHY, the 2007 2.6Ghz MBP uses the T7800, not the T9500 of the 2008 model. The T7800 is a 65nm chip (Merom), whereas the T9500 is a 45nm part (Penryn). The T7800 is significantly slower than the 330M, the T9500 is SLIGHTLY slower than the 330M.

Either way, the 330M wins. Not to mention the fact that the C2D doesn't have an integrated memory controller, which lowers overall, non-CPU specific, performance.
    Last edited by mdcdesign; 06-13-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast