Buying your way to stardom hitting a new low.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Buying your way to stardom hitting a new low.

I wonder where they find the producers for all this?
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

There's actually quite a few sites that offer this sort of service, it's not exactly new (or even unheard of in the music scene.. *cough* Guetta*cough*)

I imagine producers do it so that they can make some cash without playing the popularity/promotion game.. It'd probably be a more reliable source of income then producing under your own name/with integrity..

There was a thread on Inthemix a while back about it, even with a few producers owning up to submitting tracks to be on-sold.

Tech Mentor

From the story it sounds like its probably two of them mass producing garbage from Vengeance loops heh. Whats more sad though... the fact people use this service, or that the main stream audience actually likes the things they are using? Assuming we've heard some of them (Which who really knows now right?)

I'm guessing the site must be full of seriously shitty music because I really can't see why anyone would finish a tune they're actually happy with, and would gladly release themselves, then just sign the credit over to someone else for a fraction of the money they could've made otherwise.

Tech Guru

The first thing that came to my mind is how could you possibly keep a straight face when someone asks you how you made that track. Hypothetically lets say I buy a track, blow up, get interviewed and people ask me how I made that signature sound, "uhhh just did what felt right." This blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    The first thing that came to my mind is how could you possibly keep a straight face when someone asks you how you made that track. Hypothetically lets say I buy a track, blow up, get interviewed and people ask me how I made that signature sound, "uhhh just did what felt right." This blows my mind.
    Yeah I think the problem with that is though that the odds of somebody buying one of these generic/shit/boring style sort of tunes and getting big is pretty slim.... The guys making these wouldn't be putting too much effort and creativity in to the tracks...

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    You could always watch a youtube tutorial of someone else who remade it with massive

Tech Convert

Hmm all I see is an empty ugly site, with no songs. Just another site doomed to have no succes.

Nothing to see here, please move along.

I don't see what the big deal is... Life is one big business decision and having "Artistic Integrity" is a business decision too. If not having artistic integrity is good for business then you should go that route, otherwise, stick with your integrity if you feel you will make a living that way. This is like the old sync/no sync debate. It doesn't matter how you get to where you do, as long as the crowd enjoys what you are doing. If the crowd likes the track you pass off as your own, then why not? Everyone wins. You win, the crowd wins, the producers of the track win, and everyone is happy. In the long term, the big winners are probably the crowd, and the producers, while you get the shaft because you can't find anymore hit tracks to buy and don't have any other marketable skills.

If you're really good at selecting tracks, and marketing them in a way that will gain you lots of fans, that surely is a skill though. It could be parlayed into cultivating the talent you see in others. You could bring up small-time producers who have great tracks and managing them or back them with money. Everything has a negative side, but you should try and see the positive aspect of it. Maybe there IS a specific sound you want for your sets, but you don't want to play the same track BignameDJX is playing. So you go out, buy a tune for 500 bucks, play that, and call it yours. Whatever. Like I said, there is always lessons to be learned and valuable insights and skills you can gain from any experience. Sure, a lot of people won't take that high road or see the potential in what they are doing, but those people probably won't make it very far, and even if they do, who cares?

I think this is a case of envy. If someone buys a track and makes it big, but you sit in your room for days and can't make a hit or get a lot of fans from your track, you feel as though you've been cheated, when maybe you just suck at producing, or marketing, or whatever it may be that's not earning you a fan base and should find another path to success? Not saying that you definitely do suck at these things, but have you ever been introspective about this anger you harbor towards these websites?

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, always play to your strengths while attempting to identify and correct your weaknesses. Never use your weakness as an excuse and never blame others for your inability to achieve a goal you have. There are many paths to the same goal and some are more difficult than others, but some are only difficult because you're the one putting up roadblocks on the path that would play more to your strengths. There is a difference between taking the easy way out and taking the smartest most efficient path. My whole point is that buying a track and playing to your marketing skills is not necessarily the EASY way out, it may just be the smartest for SOME people. However it may turn out to be a poor business decision in the long run if the people who take this route fail to correct their deficiencies at some point, or fail to identify a way to take their current success and diversify it into new ventures and opportunities.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast