My (simple) VCI customisation + hello!!

Default My (simple) VCI customisation + hello!!

A big hello to the ppl on DJTT forum. Lurked the site on and off and figured it's time i joined the forum
    My name is Brad and i live in the UK and have been playing with a VCI 100 since around april. Was originally gonna get a pair of XP5's and a korg mixer with kaoss pad built in as this would be similar to the traditional deck/mixer set-ups i'm used to - but the store was out of XP5's so went with the VCI (and don't regret it). If i still had decks, however, i would've got a 'scratch' system instead, but sold them a little while back.

Done some simple 'mods' to my VCI, really just a repaint to go with the re-map i've done (as none of the button labels matched up). Based it loosely around the old NES game pad apperance - and luckily i can still just about see the led's through the buttons.
    Link to my webpage with pic n vid.

Still using Traktor 3 atm, might up to Pro eventually but right now T3 does what i need it to do.
    Re-map details;

Original fx section - now sampler
    A,B, Master button - switches between sampler A, B or 'Off'
    Little black buttons for fx select - Duplicate deck A or B to selected sampler (deck c or d)
    That 'effect' button at the top that i never figured out - sets an 8 beat loop, and a cue point at the start of it.
    4 buttons (l to r) - Start, Stop (cue/pause), monitor, effect on (masher)
    4 knobs (l to r) - gain, high eq, low eq, masher length

Eq knobs now effect knobs - so can do both decks at same time
    Gain knobs - now bass

Key lock button - duplicate opposite deck
    Sync lock button - jump deck back 1 beat
    Loop button sets 16 beat loop

Loops section (top left);
    3 buttons (top to bottom) - 2 beat, 4 beat, 8 beat (deck in focus)
    Little black buttons (t to b) - Deck A loop back 1/2, A fwd 1/2, B Bk 1/2, B fwd 1/2

And that's about it, not as adventurous as the DJTT maps, but does what i wanted to do. Also having all that fader control would result in sever over indulgence of fx use.

Toying with adding on either an XP5 or 10 or building my own controller (help please) to control fx and returning the eq knobs back to eq. But as i only ever really touched the bass one, this would result in redundant knobs (again).

Welcome, to the forum!!! Nice job on the VCI, is that spray paint?
    2x Technics M5G :: Traktor 3.4/PRO2 :: Vestax VCI-100
    M-Audio Ultra :: Macbook Pro 13" 2010

the majority, the buttons where done by hand, seemed the easier option at the time...

Tech Wizard

and the paint holds ok? i mean it doesn't scratch easily, stick, etc.? spraypaint on metal/plastic usually sucks ...

so far so good, been on for a month now, and is standing up to my constant battering. used a spray on enamel varnish to hold it all on, and the paint was enamel based - so a 'bit tougher'. Admittedly a couple of faders and knobs are showing signs of beginnin to wear, but so were the originals after a couple of months to.

not saying everyone should do it though