Requests, and the story of the DJ Jukebox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Requests, and the story of the DJ Jukebox

Welp, looks like the end is nigh... http://request-now.com/
    It's billed as a way of getting people out of your face and just have all your requests in an easy list.
    It looks SOOOOOOoooooo bad.
    Just the way of typing: "Play Harlem Shake" Dear god, it sounds like a command for the Windows speech controls. At least when you have someone come up to you, they have to do something, they make a request, and then add on to it with all the flattery, lies or sheer gumption that they can, and then you can weigh them in the balance, presuming their request is any good (And Harlem Shake isn't, it doesn't matter where you are.) But THIS?! This is them giving you an order, as you would to a machine.

We are DJs, not a free jukebox for you to plug your impersonal and illy thought out into. If this is the way that DJing is going, why don't we just have a big screen on the booth, with a keyboard attached, and people can just come up and type their damned requests in, and have them streamed right there, right then. Oh the satisfaction they would feel, knowing that they, and they alone, had created this moment, sheerly by clicking a few buttons. "YEAH, play "Call Me Maybe" again! For the 7th time, because it's the best song ever! Yeah!" It'd be the deaf leading the deafer.

And what about the joys of reading a crowd? The noticing of subtle changes and moods that ebb and flow through the crowd and you, the DJ, have to interpret. Where would that go?

Now, I am ranting, and I can see the use for maybe wedding or mobile DJs, but think, if this kind of attitude, the "I WANNA HEAR MA' SONG NAOW!" attitude, becomes the norm, and people expect us DJs to have apps or services like this, then what happens?

Yeah, it may have upset me a little bit.

Malyatrax out.

yeah if da bitch wants to hear harlem shake, she's gotta do something for me first! hahahaha!!

Tech Mentor

I don't really see too much of an issue with this. If you're a mobile DJ, wedding DJ or top 40 dj this would be better than having drunk bitches and douchbags in the Dj booth all night.
    It doesn't make you play the song. If yo don't want to play it don't play it. And you can be like "ah man my phone just died and I didn't get your request" sorry.

I wouldn't use it since I don't do gigs like that but who cares at a wedding. It's about the party not some DJs reading a crowd and force feeding the crowd. They want to hear the god damn chicken dance and they want it now. lol

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    yeah if da bitch wants to hear harlem shake, she's gotta do something for me first! hahahaha!!
    Lol, I'd love to tell her to "DO THE HARLEM SHAKE" and just watch her go completely boneless, and then not even play the song. But I am cruel like that.

Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I don't really see too much of an issue with this. If you're a mobile DJ, wedding DJ or top 40 dj this would be better than having drunk bitches and douchbags in the Dj booth all night.
    It doesn't make you play the song. If yo don't want to play it don't play it. And you can be like "ah man my phone just died and I didn't get your request" sorry.

I wouldn't use it since I don't do gigs like that but who cares at a wedding. It's about the party not some DJs reading a crowd and force feeding the crowd. They want to hear the god damn chicken dance and they want it now. lol
    Hmm, the way it was phrased in the advert "PLAY HARLEM SHAKE" makes me believe that the requester would feel a sense of entitlement, like he is giving an order, not a request. I don't like lying to people, so the whole "Dang my phone died thing" doesn't work for me... Plus it goes to your computer, not you phone I think (Not read it all, but I'm sure I saw something about computers and lists). Admittedly, I can understand it being used at a wedding or something, but in that case, I'd love for it to just be the manager or the bride and groom (1 or 2 people) who had access to these requests: It's their night, they're gonna dictate what happens, rather than being bombarded by a ton of texts every minute with "PLAY DA CHIKUN SONG NOAW!" from every staggering fool in attendance.
    But about the whole party vs force feeding aspect, isn't a DJ, especially the a wedding one, supposed to bring the party? It's up to them to be inventive, make stuff happen, give people an amazing time. Not just with music, but with lights, smoke, effects, the whole shebang. You wouldn't get a request to "Make the lights flash now please", would you? Of course, sometimes the people in charge want suddenly think it'll be cool to have a specific song play (I'mma looking at the chicken song), but would they need to come and ask you so many times as to warrant a freakin' text service?

If you think it's a good idea, that's cool. But for me, I can't really see any way in which this works out well for anybody really...

Tech Mentor

yeah I didn't really bother really delving to far into the site. Just assumed it was a request app or something. It's not something I would use since I don't do shows that requests would ever be taken at.

Music is really personal to people. They like what they like and hate what they don't It's a passion to even the people who like pop music.
    People don't give a shit about lighting. "Hey can you make it more blue in here?" I really doubt anyone ever has ever asked that based on their extreme love and enjoyment of the color blue.

I just see it as a way to make shitty request only parties a little bit less annoying to DJs who do those kind of shows.

But what if their love of the colour blue is so deep and profound that they are a blue man...
    And what would happen if you got several of them together in a group?... *shudder*

But in all seriousness, the lighting and what not goes with the music. Could you imagine having a slow waltz with epileptic fight inducing strobes? They all add to the party, of which the DJ is in charge.

Don't take anything I say on this too seriously, I'm just kinda angry about the whole DJ Jukebox thing, and would hate to see this develop into a whole dystopian thing were the DJ is bound to his hardware and your requests because that is just the norm.

Now excuse me, I need to go and start planning a classical music rave.
    Work it Stronger, Make it Faster, Do it Better, Makes us Harder.
    And if you'd kindly take a peek at my wares on House-Mixes, I'd be much obliged.

well... people who take requests will use it, those who don't... won't

anyway it's a middlefinger from me

One night a couple weeks ago a guy came to me, promptly asked us to play the same overly commercial song for the 5th something time, and told us that he would "smash our gear on our heads" if we didn't put it on.
    Then he promptly made two strips of coke and sniffed them with a rolled-up 100€ note.

This thing i believe is useless, because :

1) The people who are there for the music will let the DJ do his job and create a "journey"

2) The people who are NOT in for the music are surely in for either alcohol or drugs, leading me to point 3

3) Drunk or drugged people won't be even able to take their phone out of the pocket, so they will rather come to the booth in person. Which makes this thing pointless.

my 2 cents
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Did this some time ago :P

I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast