Moving beyond track to track DJ'ing in traktor and adding ableton live
    Tech Mentor

Default Moving beyond track to track DJ'ing in traktor and adding ableton live

I dont practice as such anymore for what you call regular djing (one track into the next), as i play live online on wednesday and sunday evenings http://www.radio4by4.com/trance http://www.livegrooves.com and my website http://www.rickdawson.co.uk
    i always key mix (essential as I play uplifting trance)
    i did have a way to practice, which is to have a mix / stream / download store sample playing (something you dont know the full details of and have not mixed yourself) and mix in and out of it whilst it is playing.
    listening to di.fm i used to do this for fun.
    but now i can mix with no bother.
    i have added to my setup a pair of 1200 technics with traktor timecode and so i can search out older tracks that never got and wont get a digital download release.
    as the remix decks in traktor could not be midi mapped, i use ableton live to play some samples/ idents / one liners.
    adding sound effects for halloween or some space theme, or just for fun.
    I use the launchpad for controlling live.
    i have started producing, but have decided to move adding live construction of tracks, from ableton and mixing in with a regular traktor set.
    currently building a custom controller using the hale micro umc32+m (www.halemicro.com) which will be 3 rows of 8 rotary controls (potentiometers) to go under / below the launchpad
    this will give me the control of volumes, effect sends, synth parameters, and effect settings, thus leaving the launchpad as a trigger device.
    i have still got to work out how to properly pull this off, and would like some tips / advice / ideas, and to know details of how it is setup for those of you who do this.

Tech Mentor

I thought about a custom controller for my Ableton sets.. But I am one for sleek design (Getting your own case CNC'd or formed starts to make these little projects more than a new project.

If you arent DEAD set on a custon controller, I would look at the LIVID brand stuff.. Very good and I know Stewe here loves them. Offers everything youd need and more for that controller.

As far s your tracks that will "never get a digital release" Would it not be simpler to record them into an mp3, so you can then chop cue and juggle thjem in traktor/ableton. Also, those older tracks that arent digital, dont give two little tits about your Timecode. Timecode isnt going to apply if you are playing Analog.

From your starting setup, I honestly would just invest in a F1. So you can control the remix decks how you need, and not be messing with Syncing ableton with Traktor until you start adding more elements, or get rid of Traktor all together and need to sync two Ableton laptops.

Please be aware, if you start modifying softsynths and playing them in real time, with effects, multiple launch clips, and traktor all running on the same machine, you WILL run into some issues. The best way to solve it without spending money is learning how to trigger, monitor on a 12+ ms delay.

I dont use traktor at all anymore. I use Ableton on two Laptops, MIDI Synced Master/Slave, one handles synths and pads, controlled by my Push, and One k2, and the other controlls drum patterns, FX Pads, transition effects. Which is controledl by a Maschine and k2.

Theres so many ways to go about it there isnt really a right or wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by djrickdawson View Post
    currently building a custom controller using the hale micro umc32+m (www.halemicro.com) which will be 3 rows of 8 rotary controls (potentiometers) to go under / below the launchpad
    this will give me the control of volumes, effect sends, synth parameters, and effect settings, thus leaving the launchpad as a trigger device.
    Behringer BCR2000
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Mentor

I am in the middle of building that custom controller.

I had a bcd3000 as my first controller (didn't like the build quality)

what is the best way to go about organising and setting up clips in ableton live 9 ?

and good ways of using effects?
    etc.