Do you play a different set everytime you play out? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Deadmuas is a punk.

This is why we are supposed to practice transitions... Etc... I never play the same set twice bc you have to read the crowd... Which every time is different...

I practiced a set for my buddy's wedding last weekend and the crowd didn't respond like I thought they would so I have to switch it up after the cake cutting ceremony... Once I switched it up everyone was dancing their asses off like we were in the club... Even with a pre planned practice set... Sometimes it just doesn't work out

Moral of story... Practice and know your shit so you don't embarrass yourself or be seen always playing the same mixes
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

We play a lot (almost every week) at some of the top LA venues including those ran by SBE and Insomniac.

For the most part, you cater your sets to the venue and crowd you're playing to. I've seen some headliners fall into this category of playing the same crap over and over again....for example.....last week we opened up for Marcus Schossow and his track selection sounded like the Beatport Top 100. That same night you hear guys like dBerrie and the likes (actual veteran DJs) and you quickly see the difference between someone who stays complacent and someone who keeps things fresh.
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

I consider it having "combo moves" at my disposal.

I never play the same set twice. It's always different. I would absolutely lose my mind if I had to do things in a set order every single time I got behind the decks... and it is also not very fair to the crowd.

That being said, one of my methods for preparing a playlist/setlist for a night is this:

I usually have some new tracks that I've downloaded. I add them to the new playlist. I then go back through my last couple sets that I've played, and add the tracks that people really dug, and also songs that I really think fit with the "color" or flow of the set I'm trying to build.

I then usually go back through my entire library and then try to find a couple "old" tracks to mix in as well. Gems you never really hear out anymore, but are tracks that inspired me.

For every one hour set, I usually have at least 100 tracks ready. It gives me enough room to change up the flow if I want, read the crowd, but also limits the amount of music I have at my disposal to go through. I'll probably only play 20-25 tracks (depending on how fast I mix them in and out). But having that other choice? It's priceless if I want to go in a particular direction.

I have had to catch myself a couple times. There are certain tracks that I just personally adore, and I have to make sure I am not playing them /every/ time I play. Given, they are good tracks, but you don't want to get stuck on that rut.

All in all, it's good to have preparation. But having the same exact set, or playlist, for every gig? It's a disservice to the art of DJing.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

9 times out of 10, at a new gig, we play a new set. No matter what.
    HOWEVER, there are times where we will be going to a new crowd and we remember an older set that we had played that got great reactions. So instead of being overly ambitious, we often times will play an extremely similar set for this new crowd. That way we know "for sure" that they will enjoy it.

In most cases, we only do this for crowds who aren't so used to EDM. They're always picky with the song they do/don't accept. So if we have played for a similar crowd before with success, we will attempt to do the same thing again.

Regardless, I don't think there has ever been a time when we played the EXACT same set twice.

Tech Wizard

I never play the same set, however; their are "combos" that I will usually play like 2-3 tracks i know that go well together and the crowd goes wild everytime. Besides my sets for the whole night are completely different from the night before, with the exceptions of those "combos". The combos are no more than 2 minutes long tooo.....

It's fine to play a few of the same tracks you played the night before, but not in the same order. Every crowd is different and reacts different depending on the time of the night

If you mean in the same exact order, then no.
    (although i do have a couple of songs that just sound GREAT mashed together, or some acapella+instrumental live mashups, or just some transitions that i know i can use to switch tempos)
    If you mean same tracks, then most of them yeah, especially since most of 'em are requests we take.
    We always try to incorporate new music into the set, but it seems like people here where we spin are just too musically uneducated that they seem to confuse the dj with an old jukebox that always plays the same boring tracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123