Do you play a different set everytime you play out?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you play a different set everytime you play out?

Hi,

I try and play a different set every time I play out. But I would like to know if this is common for most DJs. I try hard to mix different songs every time I play out, but is it really crucial?

I find it hard especially when I have several gigs to play in a short space of time, also my music collection isn't extremely big. But I hate to be to repetitive, this is why most of the time, I try to make every set different.

I would just like to know how others do it, and your opinions...

Thank you

Tech Guru

Can't imagine playing the same set twice.

If anyone answers anything except "YES" to this question, they are punks.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

about 30% is brand new, that doesn't mean that the other 70% are the same tunes in the same order every set, but many familiar ones on rotation. You can't expect the crowd to listen to a whole set of tracks they have never heard, unless you are deep underground, but even then it will usually only work against you.

The way I can justify playing a couple of songs all the time in most sets is that the crowd changes every week, and even if you have die hard regulars they love to hear familiar songs and don't spend their life obsessing over music like we do, so you will probably tire of something long before they do. It's a compromise but you are always injecting new music in, if it's good add it to your rotation and soon you will become sick of it as you are constantly looking. But that's a good thing in reality, just fight your ego when it tells you that something is old.

^ looks like I'm a punk!
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    about 30% is brand new, that doesn't mean that the other 70% are the same tunes in the same order every set, but many familiar ones on rotation. You can't expect the crowd to listen to a whole set of tracks they have never heard, unless you are deep underground, but even then it will usually only work against you.

The way I can justify playing a couple of songs all the time in most sets is that the crowd changes every week, and even if you have die hard regulars they love to hear familiar songs and don't spend their life obsessing over music like we do, so you will probably tire of something long before they do. It's a compromise but you are always injecting new music in, if it's good add it to your rotation and soon you will become sick of it as you are constantly looking. But that's a good thing in reality, just fight your ego when it tells you that something is old.

^ looks like I'm a punk!
    This. I play progressive house, so for most crowds I have to stick to the "big" tracks that they're likely to have heard before. For me, that's the difference between a crowd thinking, "yeah... this is okay", to completely losing their shit when a track they love comes on. The more frequently you play certain tracks that they DON'T hear anywhere else, however, the closer they get to that "omg" moment when it comes on, because you're essentially giving them time (over a period of weeks) to like the track.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

lots of the same songs but not ever the same song in the same order. No way to play 2 a week for 4-5 hours and not playing any songs from last night or week
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If anyone answers anything except "YES" to this question, they are punks.
    You sound like a little crazy - when you are playing multiple shows in one night, to very similar crowds across a country...sometimes you have to play very similar sets. It's just the way it goes man, life as a professional DJ is different than playing every few weeks. Especially if you want to play alot of your new tunes.

Saying this however, not every single mix will be the same, I wouldn't even remember the order, I'm just saying when your a busy DJ sometimes there is alot of duplication.

I remember hearing old rave tape packs when I was growing up and if you got one of the same DJ playing at both on the same date they would play exactly the same set. Crazy.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

If doing a stint of shows one after the other, I will play the same set with tweaks here and there depending on how the crowd is feeling it. I am scouring blogs, digital purchase sites, and other mediums regularly so usually by the tird night Ive already switched out ten tunes just due to having new tunes.

When playing multiple gigs int he same city, I try to differentiate as much as possible tho. You never know when that person might return to hear you again.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Looks like we're all answering different questions here.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Usually i would throw in 2-3 classic tracks into a two hour set. With my radio show i never repeat the same tune twice.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast