All midi controllers should have USB hubs!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default All midi controllers should have USB hubs!!

Am getting quite tired of USB hubs. I find them annoying and they take a power outlet. I like how the Kontrol Z2 has a built in USB hub, though i still find two to be limiting, and the Xone K2 has the X Link port. I think all USB controllers should have a hub. Macbooks are so limited with just two hubs, so the audio interface takes one and the then everything else goes in a Hub. A FW interface would free up another USB port but its limiting.

Manufacturers really need to address this, other than the all-in-one controllers like the S4, combinations of multiple controllers, which are more common among professionals it seems, all require quite a few USB ports.

How do u guys manage ?

Cheers

Or8it

Tech Guru

Linking controllers is fairly new tech (I think so anyways).

Pretty much all the modular controllers coming out now have this feature.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Using CMD MM-1

hemmm my laptop has 4 usb hubs but im going to switch to a surface pro or something simaler soon so a powered usb hub is the way to go. get a good power strip for your gig bag and you should be able to plug in everything thing you own. i agree that more usbs on things would be nice but there is a issue of power, most of the modular products are usb powered and usb is only allowed so much draw per port so if you start chaining a bunch of stuff together you run out of power very fast. i think the way to do it is just make good non usb powered mixer that has extra usb ports on it (grabs mixer, usb hub and screwdriver) .

You don't actually NEED powered USB hubs for most devices, that's one of the biggest "DJ myths" around tbh.

I can happily run 4 controllers (1x Reloop Contour IE, 1x Reloop Contour CE, 1x Kontrol F1 and 1x Korg nanoKONTROL) off a single, unpowered hub.

It's rare that units without audio interfaces draw more than a couple of hundred miliamps each, and most USB ports can safely deliver 1-1.5A, because the official USB specification states that the MINIMUM a port should be able to provide is 500mA; in reality, most machines can provide significantly more than that.

Best practice these days seems to be: audio interface/controller with audio interface into one port, everything else into an unpowered hub on the other port. Problem solved
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    You don't actually NEED powered USB hubs for most devices, that's one of the biggest "DJ myths" around tbh.

I can happily run 4 controllers (1x Reloop Contour IE, 1x Reloop Contour CE, 1x Kontrol F1 and 1x Korg nanoKONTROL) off a single, unpowered hub.

It's rare that units without audio interfaces draw more than a couple of hundred miliamps each, and most USB ports can safely deliver 1-1.5A, because the official USB specification states that the MINIMUM a port should be able to provide is 500mA; in reality, most machines can provide significantly more than that.

Best practice these days seems to be: audio interface/controller with audio interface into one port, everything else into an unpowered hub on the other port. Problem solved
    what hub are you using?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

You need a powered hub for the MF3D
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Satechi-Prem.../dp/B007X6XJ98

One of these; I didn't pay £29.99 for it though lol. You can get them on eBay for less sometimes
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005GLDAVE

This hub works great for everything I've tried so far.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post

I Disagree with you here.

To avoid drops ...when playing in front of a 1000 plus people...you should use a powered hub.
    In a lil club...its no biggie.

However, if you are doing a pro gig...to 1000's that have paid a big ticket price....dont muck around.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast