Advanced DJ (mixing) techniques - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jprime View Post
    This over FX any day.
    +1
    TSP2.6.5 | Kontrol Z2 | Technics 1210M3D x2 | TMA-1 | Wharfedale 8.1 ProActive x2 | MacBookPro 8,1 (OSX 10.9 2.0GHz, i7, 8GB/1TB Hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by jprime View Post
    This over FX any day.
    I disagree, I think FX is the next step, then maybe scratching depending on the style of music and what controller he has - there are lots of DJs who think they can scratch and do the most horrible basic patterns over electronic music, only those with actual scratch talent can pull it off.

FX he can add to his set, live remixing then look into other aspects...no need to run, we are in a marathon of sound, not a sprint.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Tech Mentor

I personally find it a lot tougher to mix Top40/Pop compared to Electro/Techno/House genre's. Currently I save my ass by using the echo freeze alot, but I figure I won't always be able to use my own gear so I need to figure out how to mix all-round without effects. Could someone point me into a general direction, as I can't even seem to find Ellaskins tutorials going further in-depth than the standard cutting...

Tech Guru

FX > scratching if you're mixing anything like house etc. Scratching is very genre dependent too IMO.

Laidback is a great DJ, but sometimes the stuff he's mixing just sounds like garbled noise.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

First check your timing. Use some drum samples and practice until you make a constant beat.

Then play a track and try to keep beat going. When you master the tempo you'd be able to juggle samples and hotcues.

I was there but I picked the FX route first

fine i get it some people aren't fond of scratching... here some advance stuff... hot cue juggle, Key Play, Word Play. I guess i didn't take into consideration peoples style, genre, and crowd. I always assume everyone wants to be a party rockin open format dj that loves to make people dance guess not

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12