controllers with built in interfaces
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default controllers with built in interfaces

i have been doing some research, and i was unsure of wether i wanted to get a controller, or a mixer because all i want to do is learn to mix using my computer with mp3s and traktor. i am looking for a simple set up, that is fairly in expensive.

i have looked at several different controllers, but alot of the controllers do not have built in interfaces so i would still have to buy one to hook it up to my computer.

so basically what i am saying is that i have been seriously thinking of purchasing a controller with a built in interface that is like the numark omni control, hercules dj console mk2, beringer b-control deejay, or other similar items. basically this would save me money because i would not have to buy a seperate interface, and it would save me space because i would not have an extra piece of equiptment around.

i just want to see what everyone's opinions are on controllers with the built in interfaces, and what they would recommend as far as price and quality go.

thanks in advance.

Tech Mentor

Default And all it is, is an opinion.

I prefer the modular solution, rather than the all-in-one.

First is the warranty-repair scenario. If one part goes bung, you lose the entire kit.

The other is the upgrade scenario. The controllers you've mentioned will be suitable for learning on, but you may find later that you would prefer something new or a bit more solid (I've used the listed controllers and sometimes build quality can be...questionable...at best. The VCI-100 is my controller of choice because they are built like tanks, and Vestax - generally - oozes quality).

As your needs change, you might find being able to swap out ONLY the controller or ONLY the soundcard to be a god-send.

If you are going to go all-in-one, I'd prefer the Hercules DJ Console RMX (http://www.hercules.com/us/DJ-Music/...j-console-rmx/).

The only reason for the Numark Omni Control (http://www.numark.com/omnicontrol) to come a close second for me is that apparently they've dropped Cue and are now providing Traktor LE, whereas the Hercules unit is shipped with Virtual DJ (not my preferred weapon in sound terrorism).

Tech Convert

I'm going through the same thing as the OP right now, deciding on what hardware to get. I might have an acceptable USB sound card, Ill be testing it later. At any rate, where I am, I don't save a lot going with an all in one, as they tend to be almost the price of an external sound card more than one without. I think ideally I'd go with a modular solution for the reasons posted above me, but like you, I just want to learn to beatmix, so an all in one will likely be good enough for what I want. I'm really attracted to the Hercules RMX.

I don't put a lot of stock into what software gets shipped with the controller, as my experience with 'LE' type software tends to be really crippled. I'll likely be buying better software ASAP after (hell, maybe before) I get a controller.

~David

i agree...i am really just trying to see EVERYONEs opinions to see what several people say, so i can get alot of good information. not that what i have gotten is not good, but i just want to see what everyone says. like you i am trying to figure out what i want. im running traktor pro right now, so the software is also not really a concern for me either.

Tech Mentor

the buttons on hercules dj console don't respond. they might take the press, not take it, or take it twice. depending where you live, reloop's consoles might be worth checking
    @Twumpy

I was faced with the same issue and purchased a Hercules RMX that I mapped with Traktor, I loved it. I am a beat juggle, scratch, hip hop Dj and this device worked for me.
    Didn't want to but I had to ween myself off of it and step my game up to the VCI 100.

Most, if not all soundcards built into these devices are no where near as good as proper decent external interface - its like comparing apples with oranges

If your getting a controller to dj with worry about the layout and nothing else - thats the most important thing to think about. Trying to weigh up the two and get a decent soundcard with a decent interface will just leave you unhappy because you will end up getting a second rate layout with a second rate soundcard in a futile attempt at getting the best of both worlds (which just isn't going to happen)

check out the eks XP-10s, but i agree with what bento and others have said, modular is the way to go.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Audio 2 Dj + M-audio X-session Pro or even a Oxygen 8 if Ean is gonna release a tsi.

You could also get an Akai LPD8 to run alongside for extra functionality

That's a cheap, solid set up. The Soundcard is tiny and is supposed to be v good quality you may never need to replace this. You can then sell the x-session and upgrade to a vci down the line - there may even be something else out by then that's the nuts.
    Last edited by MaxOne; 10-06-2009 at 08:55 AM.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by djmaxone View Post
    Audio 2 Dj + M-audio X-session Pro or even a Oxygen 8 if Ean is gonna release a tsi.
    I think that Oxy-8 mapping is going have to be used with an external mixer (or a midi mixer that has gains + EQ's + volume faders - theres just not enough knobs on the unit to do cool stuff with otherwise.

So an audio 2 dj + maudio x session pro + an oxygen 8 wouldnt be too expensive while at the same time being a pretty usable setup that you can do cool stuff with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast