Using The S4 In Combination With An External Mixer
    Tech Mentor

Default Using The S4 In Combination With An External Mixer

Ok, so I've got a question and I'm hoping to hear from people that have used this type of setup. :

I currently use an S4 with 1200s and timecode control along with a Pioneer RMX1000. I've been contemplating switching to an Allen & Heath Xone 22 for the longer volume faders, filters, mic input and FX send/return.

I love the S4, but I can't use the mic input with timecode, and I can't hear the RMX1000 effects in my headphones. I'm thinking I can use the S4 to handle just about everything besides the mixer, and use the internal sound card to send deck A through the master out, and deck b through the monitor output, sending them to the xone 22. I've never read or heard about anyone doing this, but I'd like to find out if this is a viable solution to my needs. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tech Guru

I don't see why not, but that's gonna be an awfully crowded setup lol.

Why not just sell the S4 and pick up a Z2?

Tech Mentor

Yeah, that might get a little crowded. I like the Z2, but it doesn't have the send/return for external effects or the long faders. Not to mention those filters on the Xone mixer that everyone rants and raves about.
    Last edited by O.D.; 06-17-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Tech Mentor

...and I use filters a lot. I recently used a Pioneer DJM 2000 and LOVED how I could use the high pass filters. Being able to sweep the filter up and back down to zero was WAY easier than doing it on my S4 in which I have to make sure I return the knob to the mid point without dipping into the low pass. The Xone has the same filter control.

Go ahead and get the xone but just get a traktor sound card

Tech Guru

I second that thought. An Audio 4 is a minimal extra investment. 1200's, Xone 22, RMX1000........that would be a nice little set-up, but you may need to invest in an X1 as well for loops and Traktor FX and what not

the best thing about an external soundcard, it that it will be very useful for years to come, can be used with literally any mixer. small and light too!

Tech Mentor

Makes me wish I hadn't sold my audio 8 a while back, but yeah, I think I might just go that rought eventually.

Tech Mentor

And sold my X1 too. :/

Tech Guru

You can use the S4 as an Audio4+X1 with the Xone22 while you look for new equipment
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB