Just had my first gig, tips for next one
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Just had my first gig, tips for next one

Hey everyone I just got back from my first gig. Everything went great for the most part. There is one lesson I learned. Never underestimate how little drunk people will listen. It was at a house party and I had a stand set up and it was nice that people came crowding around to see how it all works but when they're drunk and holdin drinks they don't get that you can't set that stuff down near the equipment also it's great to chat but it's hard when your trying to mix as well. One girl actually spilled her beer near my audio 8. Also I underestimated the amount of requests I'd get. After that experience I will definitely go with an idea that I read on here, text requests to my cell phone. Also what is the best way to protect your gear and make it clear to people to stay away from the equipment. It's just like Kanye once said

"We go through much bullshit just to mess with these drunk and hot girls"

Nice one mate. Glad it went reasonably well for ya. Drunk people eh... get used to it
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

i hate requests, you're doing them a favor of playing for free (i guess as long as it was a houseparty?), bringing your own equipment and standing there all night. and if people keep annoying you just tell them that you don't have time for the bullshit. they will be pissed a bit but won't get back for more nonsense or better yet make sure your "dj-booth" would be protected from other. barricaded by some tables or stuff hahahaha
    don't feel like they are doing you a favor and it should be ok
    and i'm quite strict about drinks near gear unless it's my drinks. don't try to be too nice about things that are important to you

Tech Guru

I actually did for my friends little brother and I told him to tell his friends that he paid me. I don't want it being viewed as a freebie. People don't value things that are free. There's only 2 things that can really get spilt on and it's my audio 8 and my mixer. I'll have to figure that out and yes I'll have to be more strict to people. "If they spill on it, they pay for it." I was sober tonight too so that may not have helped my communication. I don't know about u guys but I find I always have to be a bit drunk to deal with drunk people, otherwise we just aren't connecting on the same level haha.

It helps if you are drunker than them. Then you dont feel so bad about telling them where to go. Not so great for the mixing skills tho.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

actually i dj a lot better when i had few drinks
    and 100% true about communicating with drunk people.

Tech Mentor

If people want request they should go and get a jukebox. Where I go partying it is definitely regarded as a no go to ask for anything and seriously I don't see the point to go to a gig just to listen to a guy trying to get laid by drunk chicks or vice versa whatever, I think you should get the point.

On spills:

I think the more expensive the drinks, the lesser the risk of something being spilled in your gear. So obviously, house parties where the entrance fee is at most "bring some booze yourself/bring a twenty for it all" are risky as you've noticed

I've been to a few student parties (taken care of by the students) for very cheap and once someone spilled a beer in the power amp, a rental... it started making acid noises like Rolling & Scratching at peak time so people screamed as hell
    The next few iterations of that party, they walled off the makeshift dj-booth some more and it went much better.

Birthday party in that same rented location, too much access to the "booth" = someone spilled something in a laptop (I think it lived).

If the crowd's a little too close to legal drinking age, pay extra attention, it won't take much for them and increases the risk

On requests:

"I'll try at a point where it fits in better" - if you're lucky, they won't even remember.
    If they aren't looking at your playlist/crates : "Ah sorry mate, I don't have it" and you can even add "but I'll play something a bit like it when I can"... and again... do as you wish !
    If they offer their usb thumb drive, you've got more work go with "nothing that's not mine plugs into this machine".

edit : And of course, see http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249
    Last edited by bumtsch; 09-13-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Tech Student

Yea people don't seem to realize that its kind of insulting when you ask a DJ to play something else or make requests. NO requests and NO damn drinks near the equipment!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Wow... I dunno, I don't mind requests. It gives me an idea of what the crowd wants beyond what I see.... *shrug*

but yeah, as far as booze goes, keep that shit off. Hell, use caution tape or something around the table and make it very clear
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast