What to upgrade to
    Tech Convert

Default What to upgrade to

Hey guys, so i recently started DJing and just to begin with I picked up a Numark Mixtrack. I've been looking to upgrade to something (CDJ's and mixer?) and not really sure what i should be looking to invest into. Just some suggestions to look at would be nice! Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by BG786078 View Post
    Hey guys, so i recently started DJing and just to begin with I picked up a Numark Mixtrack. I've been looking to upgrade to something (CDJ's and mixer?) and not really sure what i should be looking to invest into. Just some suggestions to look at would be nice! Thanks everyone!
    A more detailed title would help. It's really vague, so is your question.

First you should ask yourself what kind of DJ you want to be, or where you plan to do it.

If it's only in your bedroom any system will suffice. If you plan to play at clubs, you might want to consider a more "pro" setup to become familiar with.

I think Denon has good value for the feature and price, but I think a lot of people are pro pioneer like they are pro mac.

If you've just started DJing the Mixtrack should be fine, at least until you know something about what you might want to upgrade to.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

^this. Give it some time, don't rush into buying gear. All of us here know the dangers of shiny new toys, but practice for now. When you know what you want to upgrade to without asking anyone, then you will be ready to upgrade. What is it that you want more that the mixtrack doesn't do?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    ^this. Give it some time, don't rush into buying gear. All of us here know the dangers of shiny new toys, but practice for now. When you know what you want to upgrade to without asking anyone, then you will be ready to upgrade. What is it that you want more that the mixtrack doesn't do?
    This is a good question.

The important thing to remember is that all the features are in Traktor, it's just a question of what you want to do and how you want to do it.

If you choose to use a DVS setup, you won't have control over all the effects, looping, sampler etc in Traktor unless you hook up an additional controller like the X1 or use HID on the CDJ 900 or 2000, and possibly the 400 (I can't remember).

Tech Convert

I am looking to upgrade for playing in clubs, the thing that i dont like about the Mixtrack is that it doesnt have its own sound card, so i have no way of hooking it up to a sound system

I am looking to upgrade for playing in clubs, the thing that i dont like about the Mixtrack is that it doesnt have its own sound card, so i have no way of hooking it up to a sound system
    You dont really need a club specific set-up to be able to be able to play on club equipment. Too many people get caught up with the new toys. First learn the basics- master beat matching and pitch bending and most importantly USE YOUR EARS. They're your number one tool. Not your cdj's bpm readout. If you learn how to do this on a mixtrack you will be able to play on cdj 900s with minimal learning. (obviously without the more advanced features).
    Lenovo P580 || TSP2 || Traktor Z2 || 2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120 || Pioneer HDJ 1500 || Behringer B212D || http://www.mixcloud.com/Calzonetti/

check out the new pioneer xdj r1, could be exactly what you want
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

You can use a low profile sound card like the NI Audio 2 and plug it directly into the mixer. How are you using the mixtrack now if you don't have a sound card?

Quote Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
    You dont really need a club specific set-up to be able to be able to play on club equipment. Too many people get caught up with the new toys. First learn the basics- master beat matching and pitch bending and most importantly USE YOUR EARS. They're your number one tool. Not your cdj's bpm readout. If you learn how to do this on a mixtrack you will be able to play on cdj 900s with minimal learning. (obviously without the more advanced features).
    This is a good point. Let's say you go full out and have CDJ 900's or 2000's at home, but you find out the club you want to play at uses vinyl. You can bring your CDJ's with you, but it's not as convenient as showing up with a controller and sound card.