traktors tempo unstable with timecode vinyl
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default traktors tempo unstable with timecode vinyl

hopefully this ends up being a quick fix
    so i went and got a traktor audio 10, been putting it thru its paces at home using an x1 and a couple turntables this weekend and for the most part its been a solid experience other then this one bug - ill be playing a track with the pitch slider on the table at zero and randomly the pitch in the software will change radically. on the track deck header itll display usually - 24%. the pitch fader on the gui will go greyed out and the reset button is unclickable.

the beat grids are solid, grounding grounded, scopes calibrated, needles cleaned, using the timecodes that came with the soundcard and not the mk1s, hell i even tried limiting the softwares pitch fader range to 2%... um anyone have any idea of what the problem is?

ive seen a few other threads with the same problem but most were ghost threads where it didnt sound like a solution was discovered...

Tech Wizard

Check if you have a left and right signal. This will cause the signal to get out of phase and the irregular tempo's.. For me this fixes it most of the time!

Have you calibrated your control rekkids? Any warping of the grooves? Which control records are you using and what version of traktor?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

check to pitch faders on your turntables. you might to have them calibrated.

does it happen on both decks?

Tech Guru

I had this happen 4 or 5 times when I was using timecode cd's, except my decks sped up like crazy. It happened once in a blue moon, but I could never figure out why . At first I thought it was my soundcard, then after not using timecode for months and having it not happen, I ruled that out, and thought it was a bug in Traktor. I haven't used timecode on a reg basis since like Traktor 2.13 ...........maybe they haven't fixed this

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    I had this happen 4 or 5 times when I was using timecode cd's, except my decks sped up like crazy. It happened once in a blue moon, but I could never figure out why . At first I thought it was my soundcard, then after not using timecode for months and having it not happen, I ruled that out, and thought it was a bug in Traktor. I haven't used timecode on a reg basis since like Traktor 2.13 ...........maybe they haven't fixed this
    I had this happen with the new slow roast timecode but not with traktor vinyl. The grooves seem to be less deep on the slow roast. Still haven't figured it out.

Honestly it sounds like a grounding issue to me, or it honestly could be a cart issue. When the carts aren't contacting correctly, or the ground isn't solid, you can get some really weird stuff like that happening.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

had that happen to me too. tt's working just fine with normal vinyl, then i put on the timecode vinyl and it started to run my tracks backwards first, then was being very unstable.
    what i did to fix it: take out the needle, lick the contact-thingys (or make it wet somehow) of the needle (dont know the english word, just these metal things that make contact) and put the needle back in.
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

- "Check ... left and right signal".
    checked and not it
    - "check calibration".
    done. scopes look like what they should from what i heard. i am coming from midi though so timecode is new to me.
    - "the control vinyl"
    brand new mk2 control vinyl that came with a brand new a10.
    - "the turntables pitch control"
    i didnt know that could be calibrated but the amount its shifting is so much it wouldnt be hard to see the difference in the physical speed of the record turning
    - "grounding/carts"
    one cart is brand new and gets it just as often as the older cart. in fact i noticed that if i double it the "adjusted" pitch follows to the new deck. i dont think ive tried this though on a scratch deck to internal playback deck, so cant comment if it follows in that instance. ive got the tables grounded to my card, and both my card and my laptop are plugged into the same surge protector.

so far the only consistant way to avoid it is to start every track in absolute mode.

if it was a grounding issue, how would i solve it or diagnose it? one more odd thing ive noticed is an occasional crackle/pop. from what ive seen it looks like its coming simultaneously and randomly in and out channel C

are you running 2.6/?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast