music library
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: music library

Tech Convert

Default music library

just curious where people go to get their music.
    what sites people use to download music and build up their library, or by whatever means you do to build it up
    Last edited by LeMercy; 09-13-2009 at 05:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Tech Wizard

beatport.com
    + various music blogs
    + promos

Tech Guru

Beatport! and a cool little search engine i use that tends to have alot of house music called "Soulseek"
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Guru

i am always wondering how people can bare the beatport.com website. then again, i buy most of my music on itunes, which has its share of annoyances, for example they make buying gift cards and allowances a nightmare by rejecting accounts and credit cards with nebulous reasons.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Personally I buy quite a bit off itunes now too. They just seem to have loads of good shit and the genius side bar is just well tempting. I love the genius playlist feature too. I rediscover so many tunes that way. Also itunes is cheaper than beatport and the artwork is embedded when you buy the track, which is pretty key.

I also use stompy.com and junodownload.com. Sometimes beatport...

soulseek is filesharing innit. I just can't justify filesharing anymore, I like to support people making good music. It's very affordable to pay to download music so I think it's impossible to justify filesharing. I'll admit i've used soulseek music but just felt i was stealing from a scene i had an interest in supporting and keeping alive.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

I use soulseek but i'm not a dj who plays out for money, or plays out at all to be honest and am not trying to either. Just recently i think ive worked out its my downfall. I totally saturate my hard drive with new music so that i never really learn any of my tunes. Its like when i had a chipped playstation 2, you never really apreciate or hammer a game cus its far to easy to move onto the next game etc etc ..
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

I think even if it's a hobby you should still pay for music.

Also it's true. You do appreciate the music more when you pay for it.

It's like vinyl days. If there was a rare 12" import double pack i'd pay £12.99 and I only like one mix on it, I'd still get it if the tune was heavy. Even if that was the only thing i bought that week. Buying music makes you more selective no doubt. You'd go to a record shop and spend like 2 hours in there going through stack after and come out with 5-6 bullets.

Once I made the decision to stop all downloads via file sharing i started appreciating my music and collection more again.
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Ones I use:

beatport.com
    djdownloads.com
    trackitdown.net

for searching blogs etc:

www.skreemr.com
    and http://getsongbird.com/ is very useful

Honestly I don't download a lot of music due to the fact I hate low grade/mp3 quality files, and that I like to have my music in a physical form be it vinyl or CD. I have found some digital record pools that I use though when I want something new and now. Mind you I am mainly a hip hop DJ...

www.gigacrate.com <--- Great for newer style hip hop... Some you have to pay, but you get to download a lot for free as long as you rate/comment/post about it and give your 2 cents
    ccmixter.com <--- Great for all sorts of crazy stuff all under creative commons license so you can use it any way you want as long as you simply credit the original creator.
    www.pitchcontrolrecordpool.com
    Tre Tuna
    DJ and Recording and Mixing engineer for live and studio sound
    Traktor Pro 2.7.1 | MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4gigs ram
    Stanton STR8-150s | Ortofon Q-Bert Carts
    NI Z2, F1, Machine MK I, RigKontrol 3 | Dicers | PadKontrol

NB when you buy of itunes you still got to convert to mp3 - 320kbps but once you buy a few just highlight em and convert. Then I delete the originals. But the beauty is they got the artwork embedded still.

I hate that you have to manually add artwork on a lot of sites. It's a real hassle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast