DnB mixing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DnB mixing

Default DnB mixing

i have all my dnb tracks bpms set at half, to 87, i know it should be about 170-180... is this why i have trouble gridding some of the tracks? some of them end up taking ages to get the grids in the right place and i sometimes end up giving up on tracks all together, which is no good!

and on a side note, does anyone know that dnb remix of ludacrises "Boom Bitch" song? who the heck is it by?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

tracks at those speeds, fast and slow, at just a pain in the ass to grid. Usually I'll tap it out, but sometimes it just gets lost. I'd try to tap it out at half time and just eyeball the grid lines.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

drum n bass is a nightmare to grid!
    obsidiance » breaks-drum'n'bass-big beats

That's why I still beatmatch oldskool style in traktor.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Its teh SKC bootie of 'Move Bitch'
    Do I get 5 points?

Its all about the dnb over here and i can say i certainly agree, DNB can be a pain in the butt to grid, if i cant get it strait away ill tap the tempo out by hand.

I don't think you will have any more problems griding your songs in half time than you would on the correct tempo, so just stick with it. Its a pain in the butt when you start out but after some practice you will get it down to a fine art.

Depending on your genre of DNB your listening too you will find the kicks are usually quantized, having very little to no swing at all. So you wont find the need to allways put your grids on the snares like in other genres, this can help if you cant see the snares sticking out.

Once you have gridded the songs make sure the drop points(usually theres 2 drops in a typical dnb song) are lined up on the grid, if they don't look right the song is most likely not gridded properly and you will need to do some more adjustments.

If that fails count out the beats from the drop to the end of the drop then line up the grid and adjust from there. A good test it to throw it over the top of another dnb track that you know is gridded properly and make sure the snares are playing in sync with one another.

Most importantly, be persistent you will get there in the end - hope this helps

gridding dnb is a little tricky... but here's what i do...

when you say your tunes are at 87'ish bpm, multiply that by 2 .. = 174

type 174 as your bpm, then go and grid on your first kick, usually it pretty much lines up. I duno but this works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky_Laws View Post
    gridding dnb is a little tricky... but here's what i do...

when you say your tunes are at 87'ish bpm, multiply that by 2 .. = 174

type 174 as your bpm, then go and grid on your first kick, usually it pretty much lines up. I duno but this works for me.
    Theres a *2 tempo button on the BPM panel if the bmp detection detects it in half time.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 08-06-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Theres a *2 tempo button on the bmp panel if the bmp detection detects it in half time.

oOoh, thats a new one, I didnt know that! niiice

BMP Bento? :P
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast