Time for a change?
    Tech Convert

Default Time for a change?

Hey djtechtoolers.

For the last few years I've had dj'ing as my main income. I've used a variety of controllers launchpads, triggerfingers, ipads and BCF2k - and I've always been using Ableton as my main software. The reason for this is that I started using Ableton for producing and when I was offered DJ jobs for the first time, I really just stuck to what I know. I've always taken good use of the many features in Ableton, which I cannot dj without, since I do alot of mash-ups and really enjoy it for harmonic mixing.

During the years, I've grown more and more fond of old funk, afrobeat and balkan as dancing music. It's been tricky to really incorporate these tracks into my set, since the tracks are really drifting and have a lot of tempo changes. What I'd normally do is sort of "creative solutions" in ableton, where I'd warp the intro and the outro, but it's not flexible enough. A full track warp is not an option, since it really kills the groove and build-up of these songs. For years I've wanted Ableton to incorporate a feature, where the the clips can control the BPM of the Ableton set, but since that ain't happening, I need a new solution.

Since I love and know Ableton, I still want it as a part of my setup, but I was thinking of combining it with somekind of DVS, though I'm unsure which one. I'm a record collector, so dj'ing with records (and still being able to use the wav's on vinyl) really appeals to me and "manual" beatmatching is not a must, even though I've never tried it before.

What would you recommend to combine with Ableton? It seems like Serato has great integration because of the flawed, even though I'd like Serato in ableton and not the other way around. Is traktor superior in this context?

I'm sorry for this long ass post, but I'd really like to hear your input and experiences, when it comes to combining Ableton with a more "classic" dj'ing program.

Best regards,
    Fred

For your situation, I would go with Serato. When it comes down to creativity, Traktor has the upper hand, remixdecks, mappings, effect combo's... But you mentioned you play a lot of tracks with tempo changes. Traktor doesn't have not a flexible beatgrid. So for songs with much tempo changes, Traktor isn't ideal. Serato does have nice flexible beatgridding.
    DJM-750 | 2 x Technics 1200 | Audio 10 | Midifighter Classic | Midifighter Twister | Kontrol X1|  MBP 13"

Tech Convert

And using The Bridge? What is the typical workflow if want to beatmatch a warped ableton track "on time" and a drifting track in Ableton? Would you use a beatgrid in Serato or just completely by ear?

I've never used it but isn't there ms pinky you can use with max for live

http://mspinky.com/2011/06/28/ms-pinky-max-for-live/
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

The bridge isn't a thing anymore. Doesn't work with live9.
    I'd go with traktorSP and midisync it to ableton... even tho warpable beatgrids ain't happening till 2.7, or even later than that.. Still, i think the creative effects you can use in traktor and the mapping capabilities are far superior than seratos.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Guru

If you don't mind learning how to beatmatch, I don't think the rigid beatgrids in Traktor should really deter you. You can set cue points in advance for where tempo changes occur and just use those as a signal to remind you when you might need to adjust the tempo.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Fredddy View Post
    A full track warp is not an option, since it really kills the groove and build-up of these songs. For years I've wanted Ableton to incorporate a feature, where the the clips can control the BPM of the Ableton set, but since that ain't happening, I need a new solution.
    Fred
    but clips CAN control the BPM of an ableton set.....well sort of. Not individual CLIPS but scenes can automate BPM changes in ableton live.

So you could have whatever songs with tempo changes chopped up into different clips and still be able to automate the BPM changes.

Tech Convert

Yeah, but to change during songs is just too tedious. And it doesn't solve my problem with drifting songs where I'd like to maintain the drift. Does no software allow the the songs BPM to be a master of the main BPM, while still maintaining auto beatmatching capabilities?
    Last edited by Fredddy; 08-16-2013 at 08:13 AM.