Switching to DVS. Z2 or S4?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Switching to DVS. Z2 or S4?

I already own the S4 and am going to start playing DVS. I just really miss playing vinyl. Should I get the Scratch upgrade for the S4 or sell the S4 and buy a Z2? Other is also a possibility. I don't scratch and play mainly on 2 decks with minimal effects. Though i like to cue a third tune in the 3rd deck in the mix. I play drum and bass, footwork and juke.

In your scenario, I would stick with the S4. Since you don't scratch, you won't need to worry about the crossfader going out on you. Also, you will still have full access to EQ's and volume faders for your third/fourth deck.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by papo View Post
    In your scenario, I would stick with the S4. Since you don't scratch, you won't need to worry about the crossfader going out on you. Also, you will still have full access to EQ's and volume faders for your third/fourth deck.
    That's what I'm thinking too. Does the Z2 have a better sound card? Maybe it's my Traktor settings, but I don't really like the way the S4 sounds. I also worry about the build quality of the S4 and would like to save some space on my mixing desk.

As far as sound quality, IMO, I think both audio cards are about the same. also, they both mix internally, so I doubt there will be a significant difference.

As far as build quality, the Z2 is superior. however, the pots and knobs are the same (plastic) on both devices.

I have both the Z2 and an S4, but I haven't hooked up the Z2 to my PA setup yet, so I am unable to tell you if I can hear a difference between the two.
    Last edited by papo; 06-19-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Tech Mentor

Good to know. Another reason I might stick with the S4 is that I have friends that still only play regular vinyl. When we play together, I can dedicate 2 decks to regular vinyl and 2 decks to the S4 platters.

Quote Originally Posted by b1sh0p View Post
    Good to know. Another reason I might stick with the S4 is that I have friends that still only play regular vinyl. When we play together, I can dedicate 2 decks to regular vinyl and 2 decks to the S4 platters.
    yes and if you are only going to use real vinyl (no timecode vinyl), you won't need to upgrade to TSP2. You can just set those 2 decks as live inputs.

if you do plan on using timecode vinyl, you would obviously need to purchase the upgrade.

I don't scratch and play mainly on 2 decks with minimal effects.
    I might be alone on this, but I don't see the point in using DVS or vinyl if you don't scratch...Possibly for the feel? But to me that's negligible...And I started on Vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    I might be alone on this, but I don't see the point in using DVS or vinyl if you don't scratch...Possibly for the feel? But to me that's negligible...And I started on Vinyl.
    some people just like that old school feel I guess. nothing wrong with that.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    There's just something about the tactile feel of vinyl that's more fun. There's something sterile about a controller for me. I just feel like I flow better. Plus, chicks dig vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by papo View Post
    some people just like that old school feel I guess. nothing wrong with that.
    Didn't say there was anything wrong with it, just curious...

There's just something about the tactile feel of vinyl that's more fun. There's something sterile about a controller for me. I just feel like I flow better. Plus, chicks dig vinyl.
    Very true. There's a certain "status" associated with vinyl...Or using tech 12's. I only do mobile DJ'ing and the odd bar these days (most of which barely supply enough room for a laptop and controller), so using DVS is almost out of the question for me. Although if I had a lot more money and a much bigger place, I'd love to have a DVS setup for home, and only use my controller for outside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast