Kontrol Z2 with Denon SC3900 issues please help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Kontrol Z2 with Denon SC3900 issues please help

I picked up a Z2 a couple weeks ago when it went on sale. I then ordered a Denon SC3900 and it arrived last night. I was able to get it to work for the most part but I am having some issues.

1st in the Midi Hybrid mode under preferences on the SC3900 it will not allow me to change the PC/MAC setting to MAC. When I turn the SC3900 on and use the midi mode it links as a PC and will not let me change to a MAC. I have updated the firmware and configured the MAC audio/midi setup on my laptop. The SC3900 midi controls (cue points, loops, browse knob, etc) works in Traktor but it will not let me switch from PC to MAC.

2nd the timecode does not calibrate and is very glitchy. If I run the track deck in thru mode I can hear the hybrid timecode signal coming through and changing when I move the pitch slider. Sometimes the play/cue buttons will start a track, sometimes not. My biggest issue is the pitch slider, it will be at zero (in the middle) but Traktor will show it all the way up or down plus it is greyed out so I cannot change it manually.

I have a week before my next gig and would like to use this set up if possible. I do still have my S2 if all else fails.

My current set up is a mid 2010 Macbook Pro running the current version of Mountian Lion, Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6 with the Z2 & SC3900.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tech Guru

1. Are you sure there is a "Mac" setting? It sounds like the player is working fine in PC mode already?
    Edit: Looks like there is indeed an OS setting. Have you tried changing this option with the deck disconnected from everything besides its power cable?

2. Have you tried using the Traktor Timecode CDs in regular CD mode (not hybrid)?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

It does seem to work fine in PC mode but I am not sure there is a difference. I have been search around but have not found anything about why the computer setting will not change. I may have to call Denon to find out. There is a utility setting on the SC3900 to select the type of computer you are using as well as setting up timecode among a lot of other features I have not even got to yet.

I did try the traktor timecode cds and got the same result as the hybrid set up. TBH I am a noob to DVS systems so it may be user error. lol I was using a kontrol S2 before this set up so I am learning how the DVS system should be set up/calibrated and work. Since I can hear the tone in hybrid mode I believe it is working on the SC3900 but I may be missing something in Traktor. I am at work now and have been researching and thinking about it today and I have a few things I am going to try when I get home.

Any advice to a noob on DVS systems would greatly appreciated.

Tech Guru

Couple of things to try. Turn on the 3900 and do not enter any modes such as midi. Hold the UTIL button and navigate to the OS setting and change to Mac (you cannot change this setting if your in one of the midi modes IIRC).

Now if you have two 3900s you might need to groom your AudioMidi devices in the 'Audio Midi Setup' application. Turn both 3900s off and then run 'Audio Midi Setup'. Highlight the two 3900s and delete.

Now reboot the mac and turn on the two 3900s. Enter Hybrid midi mode on both. Launch traktor. Go into controller manager and select the correct decks - BTW I use the mapping from Denon DJ forums - it works fantastic - http://www.denondjforums.com/index.p...raktor-mapping

Now hold UTIL and navigate to the timecode settings and pick the 3k timecode.

This is how I run my two 3900s. The only negative thing is I have to select Deck B in controller manager on each startup but honestly thats not that big of a deal.

PS: timecode calibration will fail - this apparently is OK according to Denon.
    Last edited by GeekGod; 06-21-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Tech Guru

Are the players connected to the Line inputs of the Z2? And are there any Line/Phono settings within Traktor's Audio Setup settings?

A screenshot of your timecode scopes from the "Timecode Setup" tab might help.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

GeekGod - I will try changing the computer setting before I enter a mode. I am only using one SC3900 (all my budget will allow). I am using the timecode setting at 2.5k so I will try the 3k as well. I am also using the mapping on the SC3900 page, is the mapping on the DenonDJ forum page different?

Makar1 - The SC3900 is connected through USB and the line inputs of the Z2. I did not see any line/phone settings in Traktor settings but I will double check tonight. I will post screen shots of my setting tonight if I cannot get it to work.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ G-REG View Post
    2nd the timecode does not calibrate and is very glitchy. If I run the track deck in thru mode I can hear the hybrid timecode signal coming through and changing when I move the pitch slider. Sometimes the play/cue buttons will start a track, sometimes not. My biggest issue is the pitch slider, it will be at zero (in the middle) but Traktor will show it all the way up or down plus it is greyed out so I cannot change it manually.
    Sounds exactly like ALL timecode setups tbh.

Timecode will not start instantly with cue/play the way it does with MIDI controllers, you have to slip-cue. I know someone who wasted £400 on an Audio 10 because he didn't realise the inherent limitations with timecode. Unfortunately, it's basically the only option you've got when using the SC3900 due to the moving platter.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

Yeah the mappings are different. The DenonDJForum mapping is much more feature complete.

PS: make sure your 3900's firmware is the latest!!
    Last edited by GeekGod; 06-21-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: note about firmware

Tech Mentor

mdcdesign - I am sure I have a lot to learn going to timecode from a midi controller and there will be some differences. lol

GeekGod - I will check that mapping out once I get everything working correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ G-REG View Post
    mdcdesign - I am sure I have a lot to learn going to timecode from a midi controller and there will be some differences. lol
    Just out of interest, are you a scratch DJ?
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast