Need more help guys. Im sorry :(

Default Need more help guys. Im sorry :(

ok so i finally got the amp "working" and today was really the first time i messed about with my djm600. Couple problems.

1)Whenever i turn the master volume up and down it makes a super load scratching sound.Now i thought it was because there was dust inside the groove (as it has been sitting in the guys garage for god knows how long) but after blowing and fiddling with the switch for an hour, nothing changed.

2)For some reason every track i play has terrible quality. Which is weird because i just burned all my music from my itunes onto some blank cds. I know its not the speakers because i connect my ipod to them and they play fine. Maybe its the way i burned them? I used a program called toast. Maybe its the amp? its a very old amp.

3) All of my tracks sound terrible when there in the cue playing through my headphones as well.

Please help. This hasn't been working all week and i want to start mixing.

Tech Mentor

Hey there.

(2) How do you play your iPod through your speakers? Do you connect iPod -> Amp -> Speaker? Or iPod -> Mixer -> Amp -> Speaker?

(2)&(3) Check the connections between your CD Player and Mixer. Do the lines go in to the terminals that are labeled "CD/Line"? (not Phono)

DJM 600 Back (2).jpg

channel 3 was on phono. plugged it into cd/line and that has fixed the bad quality. however i still have that scratchy dusty sound when messing with the master.

and i had a stereo which were connected to my speakers and i could plug my ipod into that

Tech Mentor

Ah, there we go.

So I'd say the master volume is shot. Maybe rust.
    You might get lucky with some electric contact cleaner. Like --> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...juvenator-5-oz.

hmm ok thanks micl. When your mixing live do you have to change the master volume a lot. Like am i completely screwed if this doesn't work?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

hmm ok thanks micl. When your mixing live do you have to change the master volume a lot. Like am i completely screwed if this doesn't work?
    You could use the Monitor Output instead of the Master for now.

You would not need to use the master volume "alot" but you certainly wouldn't want it making crunchy noises that could destroy speakers.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    You could use the Monitor Output instead of the Master for now.
    That sounds promising. Check out the rear panel and connect the cables that go to the amplifier to the terminals that read Booth Monitor and see if the Monitor Output volume makes the same crunchy noises.

If that doesn't work, you can get away with adjusting the overall volume using just the gains, faders and the external amp.