Xone DB4 with Traktor, is it redundant and awkward?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xone DB4 with Traktor, is it redundant and awkward?

I haven't had the chance to use one but I am a sucker for Xones.

Back when I was running a 4D I eventually outgrew the MIDI interface on it and found myself just using it as a mixer/soundcard and using Kontrol X1s instead since they were just better even with my crazy 4D mapping, the Xone just wasn't as intuitive.

Now I have been using an S4 for a little bit and I love it for what it is but I find myself wanting to go back to a real mixer setup. The Xone DB4 is cool and pretty looking, but I have to wonder are all those FX and routing really useful when you have Traktor's FX? What about the MIDI layout, is it actually intuitive when setup for traktor or is it awkward compared to something like an X1 or S4?

I wonder if I should just get a 92 and a soundcard and use the X1s. I really wish A&H would just make a mixer equivalent of a 4D without the MIDI side panels. I really loved the 4D mixer with 3 band eq and it's routing, filters, a lot better than the 92.

find a shop that has one and take a listen, push some buttons. that's the only way to know if it will work for you. it's perfect for what i do, but that may not meet your needs or work flow. redundant and awkward are not the words i use to describe it. fcuking awesome is more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mix architekt View Post
    find a shop that has one and take a listen, push some buttons. that's the only way to know if it will work for you. it's perfect for what i do, but that may not meet your needs or work flow. redundant and awkward are not the words i use to describe it. fcuking awesome is more like it.
    I don't know anywhere that would have it, certainly not at guitar center...

The other thing that turns me off is you can't really take it out to a club. Well you could if you're headlining but I think a lot of places would frown on you hooking up your own mixer for your average gig when you have other Djs coming in and out.

traktors effects are good, but the db4 blows them out the water. If you had a db4 i doubt you would want to use the effects in traktor at all. That being said its something you just need to investigate further, the only way you will know is if you get hands on experience with one.

Those midi buttons are clicky as fuck if you're used to even the VCI ones ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    traktors effects are good, but the db4 blows them out the water. If you had a db4 i doubt you would want to use the effects in traktor at all.
    this.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If I had a DB4 the only time I would use Traktor's FX would be for various suer knobs.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    traktors effects are good, but the db4 blows them out the water. If you had a db4 i doubt you would want to use the effects in traktor at all.
    For single effects that are directly comparable, this is definitely true, but the DB4 effects are limited in comparison to the broad possibilities in software (most notably in only being able to have one effect active per channel). If I had to choose between my Ableton racks or the DB4 effects, I'd choose Ableton any day (luckily, I can have both so that choice isn't necessary!).

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    Those midi buttons are clicky as fuck if you're used to even the VCI ones ...
    This... While you can use the DB4's midi controls to Traktor (or whatever software) with a single unit, you probably won't want to if you have other, more intuitive controllers available (much in the same manner that you mentioned using an X1 instead of the 4D midi controls). There are some things that are kinda natural (I like using the DB4's menu controls for track browsing and doubling the hardware loop controls with the software is simple enough), but I've found myself using just about anything (iPad, LPD, whatever happens to be around) over the DB4 FX buttons as midi buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I really wish A&H would just make a mixer equivalent of a 4D without the MIDI side panels.
    Agreed there. A TSP certified Xone mixer without the midi madness would be nice.
    Last edited by DigitalDevil; 09-24-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    For single effects that are directly comparable, this is definitely true, but the DB4 effects are limited in comparison to the broad possibilities in software (most notably in only being able to have one effect active per channel). If I had to choose between my Ableton racks or the DB4 effects, I'd choose Ableton any day (luckily, I can have both so that choice isn't necessary!).

This... While you can use the DB4's midi controls to Traktor (or whatever software) with a single unit, you probably won't want to if you have other, more intuitive controllers available (much in the same manner that you mentioned using an X1 instead of the 4D midi controls). There are some things that are kinda natural (I like using the DB4's menu controls for track browsing and doubling the hardware loop controls with the software is simple enough), but I've found myself using just about anything (iPad, LPD, whatever happens to be around) over the DB4 FX buttons as midi buttons.

Agreed there. A TSP certified Xone mixer without the midi madness would be nice.
    Thanks this is very helpful and the type of realistic response I was looking for. I'm just not crazy about mixers trying to go crazy with midi capability since I just can't see them beating specifically designed controllers like the X1 and flexible options like ipads. The clicky buttons are also something I didn't think of that could be a turn off. If I got a DB4 I would be afraid I would just buy it for the hype and end up just using it like I would a 92 if it had a sound card and not touching the midi or fx.

I could just get a used 92 and Audio 8 for like 1000... I really wish they would make a simple 4 channel mixer with 3 band eq and a soundcard. 4d without the midi would be the perfect mixer. Just simple and awesome sounding.

Tech Wizard

If you have a good mixer, why not use the filters on the mixer... instead of the digitial emulations of the software ... Im the exact opposite, im going back down to simple setups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast