Question about turntables
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Question about turntables

Thanks everyone for your help, I'm buying a pair of STR8-80's from a user here.
    Last edited by Danek; 06-26-2013 at 12:50 PM.

turntables are always phono output unless you convert it, which i'm assuming is not the case

the z2 mixer connects to you computer via usb and has 2 additional usb ports for other midi devices

all you have to do is connect the ttables to the phono inputs and you are good to go

as far as the carts are concerned...you get what you pay for... it really depends on what type of music you like to play, if you plan on scratching, and the frequency/tracking support you are looking for...Shure whitelabels are IMO a good universal cart to use if you have no idea what you want to do
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL View Post
    turntables are always phono output unless you convert it, which i'm assuming is not the case

the z2 mixer connects to you computer via usb and has 2 additional usb ports for other midi devices

all you have to do is connect the ttables to the phono inputs and you are good to go

as far as the carts are concerned...you get what you pay for... it really depends on what type of music you like to play, if you plan on scratching, and the frequency/tracking support you are looking for...Shure whitelabels are IMO a good universal cart to use if you have no idea what you want to do
    Thanks for the reply!

So for the RCA cables in the turntables, will I need two of these (http://www.ionaudio.com/images/produ...eb_large.jpg)?

And for the cartridge, I'm looking to scratch mostly, is there any cheaper option that's $25-$40?

Thanks!

Just need two standard RCA cables... Butter rug, and I would suggest 2 mounted m447 carts for scratching... I've had mine for over a year... Scratching at least 1hr a day and gigged out and still haven't replaced stylus so $80/unit is worth it
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Tech Mentor

M44-7's are the way to go for long-term needles. However, I recommend going with some cheap Stanton headshells and cartridges to start out with - when I first used turntables, I broke a few needles through mishandling them, and it would be a shame to break M44-7's because you are not sure what you are doing with them!

Tech Mentor

thank you djliquitalt and dayvue for your help!

Also good to invest in a cart case

Quote Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL View Post
    Thats not always true. I must reference the m3d, stanton str8100 and above, numark ttx, and so on.

That aside. M44gs and technic headshells are my fave setup. The technic headshell has a good weight to it and is easier to calibrate due to the spacing and layout of the mounting screw holes.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    Thats not always true. I must reference the m3d, stanton str8100 and above, numark ttx, and so on.

That aside. M44gs and technic headshells are my fave setup. The technic headshell has a good weight to it and is easier to calibrate due to the spacing and layout of the mounting screw holes.
    i've owned many m3ds...all of which were phono rcas w/ground cable, ttx...still phono rcas but detachable, pdx...same as ttx... never owned a stanton BUT maybe you were blessed to have "accidentally" bought a pair that had the phono/line conversion done to it haha

Tech Guru

DO NOT BUY THESE....

they are belt drive and totally shit
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast