I had work experience at Allen & Heath. Any questions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I had work experience at Allen & Heath. Any questions?

Howdy,

I had work experience at Allen & Heath for a week for part of my music degree. They are based in Penryn which is about a 30 minute drive from where I live.

I was given a tour of both buildings but for the week I was mainly in the manufacturing building. I really wanted to spent time in R&D but apparently R&D means something different than what I think it does and is where research and design on components to build a product. Not where ideas for new products come from. I have no DSP experience or really know about electronics so it was probably best that I didn't spend a week in there haha.

But yeah if anyone has any questions that they think I might know the answer to go ahead and ask away.

Oh and the DB4 doesn't have Traktor certification because NI want a guaranteed amount of units sold. A&H could not do that as well they sell no where near the amount that Pioneer do. Word has it that NI and not the easiest to work with now. But I also get that impression from my uni as NI don't seem to want to help in getting licenses working across the network for their software.

But back to A&H, it's mainly the iLive stuff they focus on. I didn't get to chat to the Xone Tech Support guy as he was off sick.

I did get to play with the new Qu-16 though. Mmmmmmmm
    Last edited by Tobes; 06-25-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Tech Guru

What was the application process like, and is there much competition for experience there?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Didn't have to sign a NDA then?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    same question over here
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    No I didn't. I got asked this on the last day. For the purpose of not burning any bridges if I think I shouldn't say something then I won't. But other than seeing new products, I didn't take any photos, so I doubt there is much for me to spill like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    What was the application process like, and is there much competition for experience there?
    I just sent my CV to the MD, which probably made it's way to HR as I then got sent a email by someone from there saying they could offer me a week.

One of my classmates got a couple of weeks there but he knew someone who worked in R&D.

I guess you just need to pick your timing right. I was a week too early to see the first production run of a product. But at the same time they were testing said product. So that was cool.

I was told on my last day that while they are not looking for anyone now, just be pushy and keep a eye and ear out for jobs. Personally I would probably only work in tech support there or marketing and manufacturing is too complex for me.

Why did they make the DX such an expensive turd? Poor QC, no stand alone functionality, and no Serato DJ upgrade (which I think, contrary to what most people on the internet seem to believe, falls more on A&H since the license fees were now going directly to Serato instead of through them. Please correct me if otherwise). It was so close to being a great piece of gear if it weren't so expensive at launch, didn't have screws floating around them, and the main out's on their units didn't eventually take a dump. Oh and functioning as a standalone mixer would have been nice. Did I mention that?
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Can't help you on that one. Didn't really get to speak to the Xone dudes plus I can't say I would have slated their product while I was a guest HAHA.

I did ask them about online presence. I asked a few of them actually. I love it when companies get involved in forums like this one and work with the community. So I asked why they didn't do this and they are actually not allowed. Sadly if they were to post and then they don't reply or they get asked quesitons they can't answer then it causes a backlash.

I still think online presence is good though. Just gives the impression that a company is actually making products for the consumers and not just for the sake of it.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    I just sent my CV to the MD, which probably made it's way to HR as I then got sent a email by someone from there saying they could offer me a week.
    And your on here asking if people want info that 'maybe' you shouldn't be relaying.

I know people at the top of A&H and I know they read this forum. Maybe that CV will come back
    shredded

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    Oh and the DB4 doesn't have Traktor certification because NI want a guaranteed amount of units sold. A&H could not do that as well they sell no where near the amount that Pioneer do.
    This isnt new information. All Certified mixers have to guarantee sales quotas BUT there is more to it than dry sale figues.

Also, companies are rarely allowed to represent themselves on other companies forums. This is why you dont see manufacturers on the NI forum. Its not allowed unless they are answering technical issues.

btw-hows the weather in Newquay. Me and the Mrs are considering moving there in a few years. I love the place.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 06-25-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Yeah, trashing a product might not have gone over too well. In regards to the online presence, people are generally unintelligent, fickle and cry bloody murder if they don't get their individual request at the exact moment they wanted it, so I understand why they are reticent to be involved online other than to read what people are saying about their stuff. You only need to check out the Serato forum if you haven't before to get an idea why they feel that way. Serato went down that road and it gets ugly.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    And your on here asking if people want info that 'maybe' you shouldn't be relaying.

I know people at the top of A&H and I know they read this forum. Maybe that CV will come back shredded

btw-hows the weather in Newquay. Me and the Mrs are considering moving there in a few years. I love the place.
    No I mean I sent my CV in when applying for experience. I haven't sent it in asking for a job.
    I have no idea how you can love the place lol. It's full of tourists. Dead in the winter. Plus the music scene here is top 40 tunezzzzz. Lived here 25 years, as soon as I have my degree I can't say I will be staying here haha.

Quote Originally Posted by geminimech View Post
    Yeah, trashing a product might not have gone over too well. In regards to the online presence, people are generally unintelligent, fickle and cry bloody murder if they don't get their individual request at the exact moment they wanted it, so I understand why they are reticent to be involved online other than to read what people are saying about their stuff. You only need to check out the Serato forum if you haven't before to get an idea why they feel that way. Serato went down that road and it gets ugly.
    Yeah I understand it. I guess it really depends on the community and the moderation. I am a active member of a PC forum and they have reps from companies in. You just need to put the ban hammer down when people are just being plain rude really. But again totally get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast