Music Promotion Ideas

Default Music Promotion Ideas

We recently did this article on getting your music on the music sites -
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/09/1...tracks-online/

So to go with this i would (aswell as i am sure that alot of other people here!) would like to hear what ways you guys think are a good way of promoting your releases ?

To start the conversation ill make a suggestion that most people might not have thought about: Flash games

There are soooo many flash games out there that get massive amounts of hits, if you can get your music in these games then get the flash author to put a link to buy your music this can be a great way of promoting your music to a very large audience.

That is a very original idea man. Though I think that using that kind of promotion is secondary because you are aiming to a public does not generally buy tracks so, in some kind of way you are trying to catch some occasional listeners that way or "new costumers" which are usually not on your primary scope, in my opinion.

Your strategy will mayorly depend on the kind of music that you are going to promote. If it is one of the common genres in electronic music your main target are Djs and the genre listeners. So In my opinion you should focus in getting your track and name to those guys first. You can see what the most of the people do, I don´t have time to do all the promotion but some examples of what I see daily;
    - try to push their name in myspace, try to add as much as friend as possible so they can see you on the activity stream and be updated about your release.
    -Add friends that are friends of the djs that corrspond to your style.
    - Be on soundlcoud and follow as many djs from your genre and update them via private track of your release.
    - Be part of many groups of facebook and keep informed about your relases constantly.
    -Be part of most of the online social networks (AA this is too much!!)
    Just having your name as in many places as possible is the mayor strategy, this way if someone who is buying a track on a site see your name around will feel that is something familiar and probably listen, from that percentage a small one will buy the track. Having them buyin directly after listening once is hard.

Also if you have Dj friends and you can ask them to play your track will help a lot. Sending Local djs your track for free will help also... This are just some ideas ...

So when you are starting I think that having your name out is the most important thing, so its hard work and you can get very creative as you want, depending on your time available.

trent reznor's ideas for new/unknown artists is a pretty invaluable read IMO

http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?30,767183,767183

Nice find Kelsey

Great advice from Trent.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "