DJing in a Pub Tonight...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1

    Default DJing in a Pub Tonight...

    So I was covering the start of a mate's set tonight at a city centre pub; COMPLETELY different crowd than I'm used to, and I had about 6 people come up to me asking what I was doing and how.

    I was using Traktor and a Terminal Mix 4, and the first lady came over and asked why I wasn't using headphones; I explained to her I was doing it visually, and she was fascinated by the fact I had waveforms (apparently she'd done a bit of DJing in her youth on vinyl, and found the fact that technology has come such a long way was incredible).

    Another guy came over and asked specifically what I was doing (I was bringing in the drum beat of Track B to replace the backing from Track A), and I walked him through it all, showed him cuepoints and used a drama effect for the transition, and he was amazed at the fact that out of two component tracks I was creating a unique "third track" on-the-fly.

    Then I had another guy - very drunk - come over with his mate and ask "where the 7"s go?", then proceeded to tell me that all I was doing was pressing buttons.

    3 people, 3 VERY different viewpoints; the other people who inquired were less technical about it and just wanted to know what gear I was using, but it just goes to show that even amongst the older generation (these people were in their late 40s/early 50s), there's still a lot of difference from person-to-person as to the way people regard digital DJing. It's nice to see, however, that people are still interested in DJing as an artform; it was very, very different to being taken for granted in a club.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

  2. #2
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wollongong, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    665

    Default

    You don't use headphones at all?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    You don't use headphones at all?
    I usually bring a pair for pre-listening to tracks just to help with EQing and stuff, but I was only covering my mate for an hour or so, and forgot to pack them. Usually I'll only use headphones for maybe 1 out of every 3 tracks I play, although it depends on the genre and whether or not I'm playing somewhere where I'm forced to take requests.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

  4. #4
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    936

    Default

    That was a really great story.

  5. #5
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to a canal in England.
    Posts
    9,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    That was a really great story.
    Pointless comment. Don't bother posting stuff like this in future.

  6. #6
    Tech Guru Kwal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Yeah, my Friday gigs go like this sometimes... I play at a local tavern and when I arrive to start setting up the older crowd will still be lingering. I start at 10 and up until about 11 they are always asking me questions and looking at the gear and so on... After that the younger crowd comes in and all they want to do is run up to the table and scratch the record and laugh like idiots.

  7. #7
    Tech Guru 031999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NYC, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    After that the younger crowd comes in and all they want to do is run up to the table and scratch the record and laugh like idiots.
    this.... all the time. its hilarious. when i tell people i DJ they automatically assume i scratch hip hop, wear gold chains and a sideways hat..... i'm like are you kidding me....

  8. #8
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Def not here.. when you say DJ everyone assumes mainstream EDM.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Def not here.. when you say DJ everyone assumes mainstream EDM.
    Same here mate. Although it's worse over here... it's Rihanna and Nicki Minaj.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

  10. #10
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Same here mate. Although it's worse over here... it's Rihanna and Nicki Minaj.
    i don't know what kind of DJ's or crowds you mix with, but not a single DJ i know plays stuff like that and when I talk to people they assume a DJ plays either House, Techno or Deep House/Nu Disco - never "EDM". This is the UK FFS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •