DJing in a Pub Tonight...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DJing in a Pub Tonight...

So I was covering the start of a mate's set tonight at a city centre pub; COMPLETELY different crowd than I'm used to, and I had about 6 people come up to me asking what I was doing and how.

I was using Traktor and a Terminal Mix 4, and the first lady came over and asked why I wasn't using headphones; I explained to her I was doing it visually, and she was fascinated by the fact I had waveforms (apparently she'd done a bit of DJing in her youth on vinyl, and found the fact that technology has come such a long way was incredible).

Another guy came over and asked specifically what I was doing (I was bringing in the drum beat of Track B to replace the backing from Track A), and I walked him through it all, showed him cuepoints and used a drama effect for the transition, and he was amazed at the fact that out of two component tracks I was creating a unique "third track" on-the-fly.

Then I had another guy - very drunk - come over with his mate and ask "where the 7"s go?", then proceeded to tell me that all I was doing was pressing buttons.

3 people, 3 VERY different viewpoints; the other people who inquired were less technical about it and just wanted to know what gear I was using, but it just goes to show that even amongst the older generation (these people were in their late 40s/early 50s), there's still a lot of difference from person-to-person as to the way people regard digital DJing. It's nice to see, however, that people are still interested in DJing as an artform; it was very, very different to being taken for granted in a club.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

You don't use headphones at all?

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    You don't use headphones at all?
    I usually bring a pair for pre-listening to tracks just to help with EQing and stuff, but I was only covering my mate for an hour or so, and forgot to pack them. Usually I'll only use headphones for maybe 1 out of every 3 tracks I play, although it depends on the genre and whether or not I'm playing somewhere where I'm forced to take requests.
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1

Tech Guru

That was a really great story.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    That was a really great story.
    Pointless comment. Don't bother posting stuff like this in future.

Yeah, my Friday gigs go like this sometimes... I play at a local tavern and when I arrive to start setting up the older crowd will still be lingering. I start at 10 and up until about 11 they are always asking me questions and looking at the gear and so on... After that the younger crowd comes in and all they want to do is run up to the table and scratch the record and laugh like idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    After that the younger crowd comes in and all they want to do is run up to the table and scratch the record and laugh like idiots.
    this.... all the time. its hilarious. when i tell people i DJ they automatically assume i scratch hip hop, wear gold chains and a sideways hat..... i'm like are you kidding me....

Tech Guru

Def not here.. when you say DJ everyone assumes mainstream EDM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Def not here.. when you say DJ everyone assumes mainstream EDM.
    Same here mate. Although it's worse over here... it's Rihanna and Nicki Minaj.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Same here mate. Although it's worse over here... it's Rihanna and Nicki Minaj.
    i don't know what kind of DJ's or crowds you mix with, but not a single DJ i know plays stuff like that and when I talk to people they assume a DJ plays either House, Techno or Deep House/Nu Disco - never "EDM". This is the UK FFS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast