Practicing - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Practicing

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    If I played a housey genre or something nice an easy with just drum intro's Id probably not practice much lol. But as I mix glitch hop and ghetto funk most times songs need to just work!

So i find myself devoting a couple hours a week. I find that mixing is more song choice then anything. So I spend a lot of time digging for that right sound I want. I feel that there will always be a song, to mix in a song. even if you dont think so.
    please don't insult us...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

30 Minutes per beer.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

really depends on my mood etc. but i mix anywhere between 6-20 hours a week if i have the cdjs/ i'm home

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    30 Minutes per beer.
    Sound about right.

TBH the more you advance up the DJ career ladder the less you practice due to so many other commitments like interviews, other press, meetings....if you run a label that takes up alot of time, weekly podcasts...I know at least 50 top flight DJs who don't even have decks anymore.

Prep and production, that is where the time should go.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Schalenberg

I'm flirting with the idea of producing atm. There are so many shitty DJs right now locally. Alot of them are just local band members who think the hipster thing to do is spin vinyl without learning how to mix. But they're getting booked and I'm not. So production, yes.

Tech Mentor

I know Northern Soul DJs that don't even mix. They just drop one record after the other plays out and they make stupid money. They pack venues.

Depending on your style and if you play out a lot. There isn't much need to practice. Everything is built off the same grid. Know your tunes IMO.

*edit*
    Obviously this means you've put in the work to learn how to mix and hone your craft.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123