Mixing in headphones - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Eqing to the room usually means crank up the bass a little, if it's too low for the system.

i wonder if I don't know about some supersecret awesome DJ technique or you're just overthinking stuff

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Unless you're mixing in the sweet spot of the room (does that even exist in clubs?), the sound through your headphones will always be much flatter and more accurate than anything you hear through the speakers. The sound quality will be unquestionably better through decent headphones.
    It doesn't exist, no, but the first time you play in a new venue, you can stick a track on and walk around the place; essentially, you're putting together a mental map of how the sound changes in the space depending on proximity to speakers, angles of the walls, height of the ceiling, etc etc. You then go back to the booth, make adjustments, and take another walk. Repeat this process a couple of times and you should be able to work out roughly what every other area in the club sounds like in relation to your spot in the booth.

Surely I can't be the only one who does this? :-\
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

I almost understand what you're saying.

But the properties of the room will change relative to how many people are in there... You can't go for a wander every time a few more people come into the room.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I almost understand what you're saying.

But the properties of the room will change relative to how many people are in there... You can't go for a wander every time a few more people come into the room.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    It doesn't exist, no, but the first time you play in a new venue, you can stick a track on and walk around the place; essentially, you're putting together a mental map of how the sound changes in the space depending on proximity to speakers, angles of the walls, height of the ceiling, etc etc. You then go back to the booth, make adjustments, and take another walk. Repeat this process a couple of times and you should be able to work out roughly what every other area in the club sounds like in relation to your spot in the booth.

Surely I can't be the only one who does this? :-\
    I do this sometimes, but with the amps rather than the mixer to get the right balance between the subs and the tops.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    I do this sometimes, but with the amps rather than the mixer to get the right balance between the subs and the tops.
    Lucky Most of the venues I've played at have the amps in the manager's office or the cellar, presumably to stop people screwing with them haha. I wouldn't mind so much if they were configured properly, but they're usually not.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234