What active speakers for playing outdoors?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default What active speakers for playing outdoors?

Next week I'll be DJing outdoors for the first time at a bonfire and will be hiring out a pair of speakers for the occasion. Having shopped about I can see, within my budget, that my only real options are between a pair of Mackie SRM45O speakers (active), Mackie Thump 15A speakers (active) or a pair of ALTO TS115 Active Speakers. I'd just like to know what my best option here would be? Obviously I'm after the highest performing pair but are any of these better at performing outdoors or are they all the same, what would you guys go for? And is there any other pair of active speakers you'd recommend that maybe I should try and hunt harder for? Cheers.

Tech Wizard

Roland's Ba-330 its battery powered for 10+ hrs and can bump a bonfire. Just saying. Here's the specs if you want to check it out.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/BA-330/

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Hylfe View Post
    Roland's Ba-330 its battery powered for 10+ hrs and can bump a bonfire. Just saying. Here's the specs if you want to check it out.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/BA-330/

cheers mate, they look interesting, although i can't see anywhere that I could hire them from unfortunately =( looks like i'll have to pick a pair from the three i mentioned but the question is which pair?

JBL EON 515xt 2 of these @87% volume will do a beach fine trust

Looking at your list of options, I think the SRM450s are your best bet. IMHO they're a class above the other two options.

I've been using the same pair regularly indoors and outdoors for 10 years!

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    Looking at your list of options, I think the SRM450s are your best bet. IMHO they're a class above the other two options.

I've been using the same pair regularly indoors and outdoors for 10 years!
    Thanks for the feedback, was what I was looking for. Used the SRM450s a couple of times my self and they do a good job, just the other two pairs are available from somewhere else to hire at the same price and I was clueless as to what would be my best option, so thanks again!

Tech Guru

Yep 450s or if you can push your budget a pair of RCF 312a's.

You may want to add a sub too.
    Last edited by D-Kem; 07-07-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

I have the Alto 12"s and they are built like a tank. I let them bounce and roll around in the bed of my dad's truck and it doesn't even phase them. In listening tests I found them to better than the Makie thumps and almost as good as QSC's but for much less.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djfunke View Post
    I have the Alto 12"s and they are built like a tank. I let them bounce and roll around in the bed of my dad's truck and it doesn't even phase them. In listening tests I found them to better than the Makie thumps and almost as good as QSC's but for much less.
    I actually just picked up a pair of these yesterday and played a pool party, and at only 15-25%, they were really loud. Go up to 50%+ and you'll be good for a bonfire. They're great for their price and pack a huge amount of sound.

I've got a pair of srm350s that aren't bad, but I definitely need a sub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast