New Speakers

Thread: New Speakers

Tech Wizard

Default New Speakers

So over the weekend I had to do a pool party for a family friend. I thought I was gonna borrow speakers from my buddy, but of course, the day before the gig I found out that he couldn't let me borrow them... The night before the party I'm struggling to find someone with a pair of speakers but everyone else I know with audio equipment either ony have surround sound systems or very large (and expensive) professional DJ sound systems, that they obvioulsy won't let other people borrow.

So the morning of the party, literally 4 hours before the start, I drove to the nearest Guitar Center to see what they had. I wasn't ready to buy something too expensive, so the guy at the PA section showed me a pair of ALTO TS112a's. I was surprised that for $600 a pair, you could get 800 watts of sound in each speaker! :O

I played at the party and i kept them on about 15% total volume and they were still nice and loud. Solid construction, awesome bass and clear sound all-around After the pool party, me and my friend went to the house party and my equipment was still the car. The party was relying on music from a laptop and stereo so I told the guy that I could bring my speakers in and play some music. Everybody loved my music and the quality of the sound!

I purchased cables before the speakers, but I noticed that they were producing a slight amount of latency because they are 25' and I don't have monitors. Every few minutes they would make this quick crunchy-static noise and repeat a beat as if correcting the latency. Is this because of the length?
    They are good quality XLR to XLR cables but I think they are too long.

And finally I was wondering if there's anywhere I can get a decal made for my logo to clip onto the speakers metal grill. I have a design and I've seen other people have them before, I just don't know where to order it

Of course I want to upgrade the speakers eventually, and get better equipment, but that's just a matter of time. For my budget, these speakers are excellent so far!

Tech Guru

Electrical signals propagate down the wires at near the speed of light. You could use a 25,000 ft cable and not have ANY latency that you could detect (there would be other signal issues with cables that long...but latency would not be a concern).

The "crunchy-static noise and repeat a beat" is almost certainly a function of the sound card or the speaker. Alto is not generally regarded as a "high quality" manufacturer, so the speakers will remain suspect for quite some time. You do not mention your musical source, sound card, mixer, or anything else in the signal chain.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Wizard

Ok, So I have a Dell Laptop (8GB RAM, 1 TB, Intel i5), connected to a Numark 4Trak then XLR cables going straight out of the 4Trak to the TS112a.

I used the laptop and 4Trak at home with my Harmon/Kardon Computer speakers (Not monitors) and there's never a problem. So i think its a problem with either the cables or speakers.

Tech Guru

Try "wiggling" the connector into the back of the speaker with music playing to see if you can replicate the noise. If so, you may want to use a velcro strap or bungee cord to secure the signal cord to the speaker or speaker stand.

Alternatively, you may want to replace the ends of the xlr cable. Neutric and Switchcraft both make very good connectors.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39