13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Solo

5 38.46%
  • Group

8 61.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solo or Group?

Default Solo or Group?

Just wondering if anyone else here plays as part of a "DJ team" with multiple people playing simultaneously or back-to-back? For the past decade I've always been solo, but recently teamed up with a couple of other guys and I'm having WAY more fun now
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

i would have voted both but there was no option, so i chose group. i love to do back2back gigs with my buddies as i love to play solo gigs as well. when it comes down to production i feel even more comfy in a duo. always depends on your partner
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Me and my buddy Vinny tag team every Friday as a part of the set. We play for 4 hours, we usually switch off for a while and the last hour we just battle track for track, and that's when the people of the crowd get most involved.

We both know each others tunes, how we mix, etc so it makes it a lot of fun as long as you two figure out before hand as to who does what.

I won't mess with the platters while he blends, unless I can clearly see he doesn't notice and I nudge it back on beat.
    I use the color fx (DJM 850) since I stand on the left side and I would rather not reach over him, he toys with the rest of the fx.
    Just give your partner his space, and don't try to do too much and make your buddy screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    i would have voted both but there was no option, so i chose group. i love to do back2back gigs with my buddies as i love to play solo gigs as well. when it comes down to production i feel even more comfy in a duo. always depends on your partner
    Damn, you can't edit polls can you? Would've made sense having a "Both" option

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Me and my buddy Vinny tag team every Friday as a part of the set. We play for 4 hours, we usually switch off for a while and the last hour we just battle track for track, and that's when the people of the crowd get most involved.

We both know each others tunes, how we mix, etc so it makes it a lot of fun as long as you two figure out before hand as to who does what.

I won't mess with the platters while he blends, unless I can clearly see he doesn't notice and I nudge it back on beat.
    I use the color fx (DJM 850) since I stand on the left side and I would rather not reach over him, he toys with the rest of the fx.
    Just give your partner his space, and don't try to do too much and make your buddy screw up.
    That's kinda what we've been doing; one of us handles effects while another does transitions, then we swap round every few tracks and swap roles. Still working on it as the other guys aren't as comfortable using Traktor effects as I am (one's a VDJ user and the other is used to CDJs), but they're picking it up quickly
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Damn, you can't edit polls can you? Would've made sense having a "Both" option

That's kinda what we've been doing; one of us handles effects while another does transitions, then we swap round every few tracks and swap roles. Still working on it as the other guys aren't as comfortable using Traktor effects as I am (one's a VDJ user and the other is used to CDJs), but they're picking it up quickly
    It always takes time... I practice on CDJ's with actual compact discs... My partner uses timecode vinyl on Traktor...

We had to meet in the middle, but after taking the time to practice it evolved to the point to where we can use anything and the other guy won't mind.

As of late though I've just taken over the mixer effects.. while my buddy puts his X1 on his side of the mixer and uses that.

Group jams are awesome. Not only to you get to do what you love with some like minded buddies, but you also can feed off each other creatively, and maybe even learn something and get out of your "i've been djing for a year and know everything" bullshit opinion which always makes me laugh.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

i totally forgot the point of being forced to actually beatmatch and not relying on sync, when playing back2back on different platforms/system/controler/whatsoever. that´s always nice and you don´t get lazy.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

ive always done solo, I'm having hard time finding someone who is into deep house and some trance. Everybody just wants trap and dubstep around here. its kinda annoying.

Tech Guru

DJ with me 031999

I'm a house, trance guy, and deep house is growing on me.

Schalenberg

Solo. Bitch, don't kill my vibe. YOLO uppercut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast