Cdjs 900 + djm 850 or cdjs 2000 nexus?
    Tech Student

Default Cdjs 900 + djm 850 or cdjs 2000 nexus?

Hello, I live in Mexico and I've been DJing for a couple of years now but just until last year I've been able to practice more frequently because I've moved from a small apartment to a house. I don't do this for living or anything (unfortunately) but I am really passionate about it.

My current set up is 2 AT LP1240, Traktor Z2, Traktor X1 and 2 Traktor F1 (which I rarely used). I had the opportunity to play at my friend's club and some partys and while at the partys I bring my own gear whenever I've played at a Club I had to bring a Audio 6 (which I already sold), and it is always really complicated to get some decent turntables and get everything set up and lately I've been thinking that it would be better to learn how to use cdjs, since it is the club standard and also because I like new challenges. Also I'm planning to start a project with some partners that consists of a series of big parties, and by parties I mean professional djs and big venues, so I'm considering to buy some club standard gear since we plan to have different local djs playing each time, because renting it is really expensive (200 usd for the night).

The question I hope you can help me to figure out is is that if it will be better to go for a pair of cdjs 900 and a djm 850 (refurbished or a deal I've been offered by some store) or to go for the cdjs 2000 nexus, that will cost around the same amount, and stick to the Z2 and wait 6 months or maybe more to buy the DJM 850. The cdjs and the mixer will be for both personal use at home and (potentially) for the parties. I'm pretty sure that the cdjs 900 will be more than enough for me to practice but I'm not sure about if they are enough for the party use, the thing is that I'll be paying a lot of money to avoid to rent the gear for the parties, and I'm a little bit concerned someone is going to ask for the cdjs 2000 or 2000 nexus.

The other thing I'm a bit concerned is that the cdjs 900 might loose their value in a short period of time (since they were released in 2009) while the 2000s nexus will hold their value for some years and from my experience I'm pretty sure I'll be selling in 2 years or something like that.

So what do you think: are the 900s enough for my needs? or are the 2000s nexus worth the money and the wait for buying the djm-850?

I hope I made my self clear, please experts help me out!

Unless you have loads of disposable pesos.... Go for the 900s. 2000s are probably overkill for a home setup unless you're a pro or you're totally rich. Compare the features more specifically but I doubt you'll miss out on much with the 900s. Id say theyre almost identical in build quality.
    Lenovo P580 || TSP2 || Traktor Z2 || 2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120 || Pioneer HDJ 1500 || Behringer B212D || http://www.mixcloud.com/Calzonetti/

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
    Unless you have loads of disposable pesos.... Go for the 900s. 2000s are probably overkill for a home setup unless you're a pro or you're totally rich. Compare the features more specifically but I doubt you'll miss out on much with the 900s. Id say theyre almost identical in build quality.
    Hello, thanks for your advice. In order to make my self clear, no, I'm not a pro that is why I said this
    I don't do this for living or anything (unfortunately) but I am really passionate about it.
    and I'm not rich, but I've been saving and I'll order with a 6 month financing from my bank. Also I consider this some sort of investment not just a expense because I'll be using the gear for some events, that otherwise I need to pay just to rent them. But I think you are right the 2000s will be just too much for a home set up, that is why is said this
    I'm pretty sure that the cdjs 900 will be more than enough for me to practice but I'm not sure about if they are enough for the party use
    If anyone has a different opinion please let me know. Thank you!

Tech Guru

CDJ 900s are fine for all use cases. You could save a huge amount by buying used gear if it's available in Mexico?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I'd probably consider getting 2nd hand CDJ2000s (not nexus) which will be better that 900s and most pros would be happy with.

You will want a DJM850 or DJM900 too.

Go the ebay route for sure.

I paid just over £1000 (retail £1599) 2nd hand for a nearly new djm900

I honestly think that's a better route.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Student

Hello Makar1, thanks for the advice I plan to buy them in the USA, so they should be available.

Tech Student

Hello Max thanks for the advice I've been looking for a pair of used cdj2000s on ebay but they cost around the same as new, some store offered me a new pair of 2000s for $2,700 (USD) while a pair of refurbished 900s cost $1,800 and brand new for $2,100 what do you think, do the 2000s worth the difference? If a buy the 2000s I need too wait like six months to buy the DJM 850. Thanks in advanced.