Desktop EM interference in soundcard?

Default Desktop EM interference in soundcard?

Hello guys
    Sho, my main rig is currently broken since i fried the processor in a OCing session with DICE and a bit of ln2 that was a little on the extreme side of things :P

So while i wait for my wallet to get full again and permit me to buy a new lga2011cpu, i have repurposed my old gaming rig (c2d e7500@4.1ghz , 8gb) as a production one. Put my delta44in, reinstalled cubase and my most used plugins on an empty disk i had laying around, booted perfect, but now i have a problem.

The interference coming from the speakers when the computer is plugged in and turned on is amazingly loud and annoying. I tried uninstalling the delta drivers and had a try with asio4all thru the realtek SC on the mobo, but even this gave the same results (front headphone jack is A LITTLE less loud, but still damn annoying).

Tried removing the graphics card because that could have been the issue (using the integrated gfx on the chipset) but no, both soundcards still produce audible interference.

The psu is a brand new 750w generic one ( worked perfect when the cpu on there was still a p4, so that must not be the issue here), i have dual dvd drives installed and 3 HDs (no raid)
    I have installed custom cooling and LED lighting inside the case, but the problem occurs even when that is turned off.

Can anyone help me here? Audio works normally thru both the delta and asio4all+realtek, i mean, latency is good, no dropouts, so it's def. not a driver issue.

Anyone? Thanks

-p
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Guru

If the PSU is brand new, what do you mean by it "worked perfect when the cpu on there was still a p4"? Generic is never a good idea for computer PSUs.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

^ Generic PSU is an awful idea...

What kind of interference is it? White noise like a hiss or like beeping and buzzing?

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    If the PSU is brand new, what do you mean by it "worked perfect when the cpu on there was still a p4"? Generic is never a good idea for computer PSUs.
    I recently upgraded the processor on the machine from a 3ghz p4 to the c2d. The psu has about 3-4 months in since my previous psu's fan died and the psu fried. I know with certainty that with the p4 and this 750w psu i have now audio output was clean as ever.
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    ^ Generic PSU is an awful idea...

What kind of interference is it? White noise like a hiss or like beeping and buzzing?
    Beeping and buzzing. I tried detaching the HDs one by one with no avail

Tech Guru

Did you use the PSU for music production before though?

Sure you don't have a cell phone lying around?

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Did you use the PSU for music production before though?

Sure you don't have a cell phone lying around?
    Yeah i had cubase installed even tho i had only the stock plugins in, i started it a couple times, but never used it for anything serious. EM interference was not there tho..

And yes sure

BTW: i use unbalanced 3m TS terminated cables, but over that distance sure nothing can HUGELY affect noise..

Tech Guru

If you're getting interference with and without the Delta 44, it's something hardware related -> PSU. You can try another electrical socket for maybe grounding issues, but I doubt that is the cause.

To be honest, it's REALLY unlikely to be the PSU, because every motherboard has a significant amount of power smoothing on-board. Power to pretty much everything (apart from molex/sata-connected devices) goes through those smoothing capacitors, inductors and voltage regulators.

However, if the system is overclocked (by raising the BCLK) then the PCI bus will be running higher than its intended frequency, which can cause buzzing/humming/clicking. Revert to stock settings and see if that helps; if not, it's possible that something has actually been fried during an overclocking attempt.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)