is there an alternative way to monitor with headphones on traktor?
    Tech Convert

Default is there an alternative way to monitor with headphones on traktor?

Ok so I yesterday bought a traktor s4 and there is a problem when monitoring off headphones I can only hear out of the right headphone. I've checked all my routing settings and both are set up correctly, it is definitely a problem with the S4 as i can hear the audio trying to come through the left head phone as i push the jack in but once all the way in i can only hear through the right. It's going to be monday before i can bring it back to the store and i'm DJing tomorrow night... it's annoying trying to mi through just the right headphone and probably gonna be much harder tomorrow when i'm playing through a much louder system, so basically i'm wondering is there an alternative way to use my headphones for monitoring through traktor? i have an external soundcard/audio interface (steinberg UR 22) is there any way i can use that to resolve my problem in the meantime until i get this fixed?

Tech Guru

The headphone jack is a common fault area on S4s. Get it replaced asap if you're sure it's a hardware issue (test by sending audio to the headphone socket from Windows/OSX).

From a quick look at the UR22 it seems to only have 1 stereo output, so unless I'm mistaken you won't be able to use it for Traktor.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

You can try using a portable headphone amp to make the one ear louder, or you can try a mono adapter, that will make sound come out of both ears, but it will be a mono signal.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Or... try what I did and a 1000's of other people did. Losen the hex nut on the headphone socket slightly and then tighten it up as tight as you can.

Sounds like voodoo..? Works, a LOT of the time.

Honestly.

Tech Guru

Interesting Karlos,

I just sold an S4 that I got back from NI, and the buyer told me the headphone jack is already messed up...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Or... try what I did and a 1000's of other people did. Losen the hex nut on the headphone socket slightly and then tighten it up as tight as you can.

Sounds like voodoo..? Works, a LOT of the time.

Honestly.
    This. I took mine to a shop thinking I'd have to replace the headphone jack, but unscrewing the hex nut and tightening it back fixed the issue.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisku13 View Post
    This. I took mine to a shop thinking I'd have to replace the headphone jack, but unscrewing the hex nut and tightening it back fixed the issue.
    Yep. I'm not saying that people don't have genuine issues that need resolving by servicing but this fix is well known and has solved many many peoples headphone socket issues.

Worth a shot before sending that hulk off to be fixed.