I got a gig for a 35 year old celebration, need some help with tracks!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default I got a gig for a 35 year old celebration, need some help with tracks!

Too Long;Didn't Read ----> I need essential tracks from 1980-2010.

Hi. A friend of mine, his dad, got me a gig. He's going on vacation that weekend so he asked me to play the gig. I'm supposed to play a 35 year old celebration in a fotball club house. So basicly I'm DJ:ING for 30+. I have the DJ gear needed, and I'm getting speakers, amp, lights and so on from the dad. The gig is in saturday.

The thing is, I'm 15 years old and I have very little experience in tracks from 1980-2010. I'm researching at the moment, but I tought it could be easier if I could get some really nice tracks that you know nearly everybody in this age time loves. I have listened to alot of old tracks, but can't remember a single name. If you post them I will prob recognise the sound, so therefore I think I will have no problem mixing them. I just need some traditional tracks that is essential for a 30+ party. I really need all sort of tracks from this time age, danceable tracks, chill tracks, "bring back the memories" tracks. I will actually be using abit of spotify for this gig, because some tracks is nearly impossible to find in good quality, and because I don't have that much money. And I think (based on the mainstream music on the radio) that I will play tracks from artists like Taio Cruz, Edward Maya, Cascada and popular tracks on the radio.
    By now I think you know I'm not playing this kind of tracks usually, I'm more into drum&bass, haha

Artists I know from this time age:

Ace of Base
    Abba
    Kylie Minogue
    Sugababes
    Haddaway

Thanks, "Nightcall".
    Last edited by PjAndreasson; 07-11-2013 at 05:34 AM.
    I'm from Sweden. I listen to music, I produce it and I play it for others.
    My artist name is Nightcall.
    MY SOUNDCLOUD: https://soundcloud.com/nightcallofficial
    MY YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/NightcallOfficial

Quote Originally Posted by PjAndreasson
    Artists I know from this time age:

Ace of Base
    Abba
    Kylie Minogue
    Britney Spears
    Sugababes
    You are fucked.

Try these:

http://www.nowmusic.com/

This would be a good start:

http://www.nowmusicstore.com/*/Now-C...F#.Ud23LvmsiSo
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Go look at the billboard charts from the past 30 years.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

^yep. And leave out the Brittney. Nobody wants to hear that anymore. Same goes for abba.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Thanks for the replies!

I took a look at the "nowmusic" thing, and I will actually buy that tommorow Thanks.
    I've actually "crate digged" in spotify (I took a famous artist and then took related artists) and in billboard in search of artists.
    Recognized ALOT of artists and tracks. Well, my list just got bigger. Gonna mix some modern and "old" tracks!

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    ^yep. And leave out the Brittney. Nobody wants to hear that anymore. Same goes for abba.
    The same most definitely does NOT go for ABBA -- "Dancing Queen" is essential. (Besides, the party is in Sweden - he definitely needs ABBA!)

And recognizable 80s music should include stuff like (in no particular genre or order) Pet Shop Boys, Duran Duran, Boy George, Madonna, George Michael, Depeche Mode, Big Audio Dynamite, Michael Jackson, Queen, Cyndi Lauper, Prince, Kraftwerk, U2, REM, Bruce Springsteen, Run DMC, Red Hot Chili Peppers (and if it were me I would include lesser known but better stuff like The Replacements, Sonic Youth, the Pixies, Kate Bush, Siouxsie and the Banshees...) As you get into the 1990s and 2000s look at groups like Sublime, Nirvana, Offspring, Counting Crows, etc. as well as any hip hop from the era (Coolio, Snoop Dogg, Cypress Hill, Ice T, Ice Cube, Digable Planets, Fugees, En Vogue, Biggie, Tupac, Puff Daddy, and you're gonna want the song "No Diggity" by Blackstreet) Should be pretty easy to find compilation CDs filled with these songs, and it's actually great fun to play a party where people know all this kind of stuff - not as technical as mixing house or dnb or whatever but it's a blast. Honestly I'd throw in some older stuff as well, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, the Clash, Sex Pistols, etc. The main thing with this kind of party is forget about genre limitations completely. If a song has any beat at all, people will enjoy dancing to it, and I doubt you'll get complaints that you're playing punk rock at a dance party (unless you're playing Minor Threat and MDC or whatever). Most important, have a blast!
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Oh yeah Talking Heads better get some Talking Heads, Burning Down the House.

Proben, I agree with everything you suggested, but come on, Abba is soooooooooooo bad lol. Yes it is a staple of "retro" at least at the clubs here, but they make my ears bleed.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

hahaha I can't say I ever need to hear it again either. But man you can't deny their influence on modern dance music. And the thing is, whenever I play "Dancing Queen" for a crowd like that, people go crazy! It's the only song that has the distinction of being both John McCain's favorite song AND winning an award from an Australian magazine for "the gayest song of all time".

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    The same most definitely does NOT go for ABBA -- "Dancing Queen" is essential. (Besides, the party is in Sweden - he definitely needs ABBA!)

And recognizable 80s music should include stuff like (in no particular genre or order) Pet Shop Boys, Duran Duran, Boy George, Madonna, George Michael, Depeche Mode, Big Audio Dynamite, Michael Jackson, Queen, Cyndi Lauper, Prince, Kraftwerk, U2, REM, Bruce Springsteen, Run DMC, Red Hot Chili Peppers (and if it were me I would include lesser known but better stuff like The Replacements, Sonic Youth, the Pixies, Kate Bush, Siouxsie and the Banshees...) As you get into the 1990s and 2000s look at groups like Sublime, Nirvana, Offspring, Counting Crows, etc. as well as any hip hop from the era (Coolio, Snoop Dogg, Cypress Hill, Ice T, Ice Cube, Digable Planets, Fugees, En Vogue, Biggie, Tupac, Puff Daddy, and you're gonna want the song "No Diggity" by Blackstreet) Should be pretty easy to find compilation CDs filled with these songs, and it's actually great fun to play a party where people know all this kind of stuff - not as technical as mixing house or dnb or whatever but it's a blast. Honestly I'd throw in some older stuff as well, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, the Clash, Sex Pistols, etc. The main thing with this kind of party is forget about genre limitations completely. If a song has any beat at all, people will enjoy dancing to it, and I doubt you'll get complaints that you're playing punk rock at a dance party (unless you're playing Minor Threat and MDC or whatever). Most important, have a blast!
    Wow, thanks!
    And yea you're right about the mixing. I will try to balance out all the genres. This is my first gig alone
    but I think I will fix it I've played before but I was not alone.

I'll definitely play ABBA, atleast 1-2 songs. They're 30+ and swedish :P

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast