Traktor Z2 vs S4 for digital vinyl
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Traktor Z2 vs S4 for digital vinyl

Can anyone offer some advise on these two products? I'm basically wondering if I'll miss anything on the Z2 if I pull the trigger on the S4. I would be connecting two turntables and using timecode. I've read that the S4 is too wide but the price right now on DJTT is very attractive.

Cheers.
    Lenovo P580 || TSP2 || Traktor Z2 || 2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120 || Pioneer HDJ 1500 || Behringer B212D || http://www.mixcloud.com/Calzonetti/

I'd go for the Z2, I really dislike using the S4 as a mixer.... But that's just me.

Tech Mentor

i have an s4. it is a bit wide, just over 19 inches, and doesn't fit into 19inch dj coffins

i run 2 turntables into it. the sound quality of the soundcard is not great in my opinion, but does the job. i believe the faders are much better on the z2.

really comes down to how you dj. i use 3 track decks and 1 remix deck, or 4 decks. and i use another midi controller to assign my turntables to the decks and a few other useful functions. don't think i could handle being stuck with 2 decks/channel strips. but again, depends what you spin.

personally i'm looking to upgrade (or.. sidegrade?) to a used denon x1600.

I only use 2 decks for most sets but 4 channels would be nice. I think you have the right idea with the denon... Ive had my eye on an x1600 for a while. Good advise in reference to the S4's soundcard. I assume the z2s is better?
    Lenovo P580 || TSP2 || Traktor Z2 || 2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120 || Pioneer HDJ 1500 || Behringer B212D || http://www.mixcloud.com/Calzonetti/

Quote Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
    I only use 2 decks for most sets but 4 channels would be nice. I think you have the right idea with the denon... Ive had my eye on an x1600 for a while. Good advise in reference to the S4's soundcard. I assume the z2s is better?
    U can't beat xone for quality.

Tech Mentor

There's no comparison in terms of fader quality. If that's important, go for the z2.

Quote Originally Posted by trux View Post
    i have an s4. it is a bit wide, just over 19 inches, and doesn't fit into 19inch dj coffins

i run 2 turntables into it. the sound quality of the soundcard is not great in my opinion, but does the job. i believe the faders are much better on the z2.

really comes down to how you dj. i use 3 track decks and 1 remix deck, or 4 decks. and i use another midi controller to assign my turntables to the decks and a few other useful functions. don't think i could handle being stuck with 2 decks/channel strips. but again, depends what you spin.

personally i'm looking to upgrade (or.. sidegrade?) to a used denon x1600.
    The sound card in the s4 is the same quality as a standalone NI sound card...
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

I've got an S4 and haven't even bothered to hook my decks up to it, despite absolutely fanging to get into DVS. The S4 layout and size doesn't really suit TTs. I'd go for the Z4 which is designed for TT's.

Z2. Selling my S4 because I'm just not feeling it for use as a mixer. Feels a bit too much really.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    The sound card in the s4 is the same quality as a standalone NI sound card...
    Output level is not even close, and the phono pre-amp on the S4 is horrid.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast