need famous dj names for my budget! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

why not just contact the agents and managers of people you already have in mind
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    If you're talking that sort of money, you can either get someone famous, or someone talented.
    Are the two mutually exclusive?

I speak from experience here; one of the venues I work at has "famous" headliners every week (DJs, not pop artists), people like Oliver Lang, Brandon Block, Foamo, Jonathan Ulysses etc. And unfortunately, they just play track A into track B and it just sounds like EVERY OTHER DJ out there.....

Personally, me, Patch and a couple of others would be happy to split £6k between us for an hours' set each
    So you think you're better than Oliver Lang, Brandon Block, Foamo, Jonathan Ulysses, lol
    Where exactly are you a resident? Just interested.
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

You could always use that money and make your own celebrities, that way the club will get a rep as a stepping stone, a major player in who hits the big time next, which in turn will create more revenue, and if you have any talented DJ friends that could rock the big time, you'd be doing them a solid that they could return later down the line.

Behind the scenes business is always where the money is, but what do I know.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    Are the two mutually exclusive?
    USUALLY, yes. People at that level start to feel like they have nothing to prove, and get lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    So you think you're better than Oliver Lang, Brandon Block, Foamo, Jonathan Ulysses, lol
    Where exactly are you a resident? Just interested.
    It's not my place to make a judgement on that one way or another; what I CAN tell you, however, is that I put a lot more effort into what I do than I've seen them do (with the possible exception of Brandon Block; he actually spent time with the headphones on, checking phrasing and key matching).

But my point stands; these headliners - compared to someone like Dirty Secretz, who did a completely live Twitch/F1 set from stems - command a price premium and don't offer anything MUSICALLY above and beyond what any other DJ who can beatmatch (or use sync effectively) can offer.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Mentor

USUALLY, yes. People at that level start to feel like they have nothing to prove, and get lazy.

It's not my place to make a judgement on that one way or another; what I CAN tell you, however, is that I put a lot more effort into what I do than I've seen them do (with the possible exception of Brandon Block; he actually spent time with the headphones on, checking phrasing and key matching).

But my point stands; these headliners - compared to someone like Dirty Secretz, who did a completely live Twitch/F1 set from stems - command a price premium and don't offer anything MUSICALLY above and beyond what any other DJ who can beatmatch (or use sync effectively) can offer.
    Why do you INSIST on confusing activity on the mixer/fx/decks with actual skill as a DJ/entertainer?

I'd rather listen to any amount of Frankie Knuckles/Louis Vega than anything any of the "producer" Dj's can put out.

Given your evident/self expressed massive skill as a DJ/Remixer, i'm stunned you're not scoring more high end gigs etc....oh....wait...

Tech Guru

It's a club night, it's not a concert. Doing complicated things doesn't necessarily make the performance more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by iambiggles View Post
    Why do you INSIST on confusing activity on the mixer/fx/decks with actual skill as a DJ/entertainer?
    Why DON'T you? If you can't see that it takes more skill for a "producer" DJ (as you put it) to perform a track live than it does to just blend two tracks together for 30s, then there's no point in even discussing it with you.

And just to clarify, we're not talking about me here, we're talking about booking headline acts.
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1

Tech Mentor

Why DON'T you? If you can't see that it takes more skill for a "producer" DJ (as you put it) to perform a track live than it does to just blend two tracks together for 30s, then there's no point in even discussing it with you.

And just to clarify, we're not talking about me here, we're talking about booking headline acts.
    Again, your thinking *skill* and *doing lots on various hardware surfaces/software* makes for an entertaining performance. Have you ever listened to a real house DJ like knuckles or Vega and heard how they blend and flow in and out different tracks, build up and drop moods in a set? i suspect not.

you're like a stuck record - sorry, glitched mp3. you simply cant see that there are other aspect to Djing and performance that mashing the shit out of multiple stems and FX. Its about the CROWD not YOU!

And before you get on your "oh you're just a prehistoric DJ" etc etc - i use a Z2, X1, Ableton, Various other controllers as i see fit as well as native vinyl and 1210's . but I use them when needed - NOT ALL THE TIME!!!

And yes, its about booking top flight DJ's - who do you honestly think is goign to be a better bet for a promoter, not you, a PROMOTER. A well known DJ that can bring a crowd or a navel gazing button masher?

Oh lord....really?

Pissing contest again??
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Oh lord....really?

Pissing contest again??
    Nope, I'm dropping out of this one because it's veering off-topic.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast