SOUND QUALITY: A big name taking over!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SOUND QUALITY: A big name taking over!

Hi there

I'm thinking of this question for a long time and I think this is the right place to ask it.

I am, like you I presume, a clubber. You can find me week in and week out in clubs and festivals.
    While I'm clubbin I always pay alot of attention to music, really ALLOT. That goes from mixing techniques, effects to sound quality. And that last thing is where this topic is about.

I'm wondering what the secret is of all the headline artists to give their sound an extra boost/punch.
    With "headline" I mean world known Dj's like: Luciano, Reboot, Marco Carola, Richie Hawtin and so on.
    The difference is clear when they take over from the previous dj. The last track that's played and the new track that's mixed in by the headline artist has always (in my opinion) a huge difference in dynamic range, this in a positive way.

That track always blows the previous track away like a cardhouse.

Does anyone know how they do it?
    Is it something software based (Traktor settings, ...)
    Better hardware/soundcard than the normal Audio 10 (I even heard dj's playing with the Audio 8 and still have this massive impact.)
    Or is it the difference between MP3 and AIFF/WAV
    Or maybe something else?

I think this thread is usefull as I think there are alot of people that are trying to get better sound quality during their performances, like me

Maybe one of you knows the solution.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Most likely the sound tech keeps the volume lower until the main act shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Most likely the sound tech keeps the volume lower until the main act shows up.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Tech Guru

If they didn't change the sound manually, noone would even notice the main act turning up.

You can use this trick in your mixes too by lowering your output volume a little in the build up to drops and transitions.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    If they didn't change the sound manually, noone would even notice the main act turning up.

You can use this trick in your mixes too by lowering your output volume a little in the build up to drops and transitions.
    Ahhh sneaky... I shall try this...

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Ahhh sneaky... I shall try this...
    Ive had a dj use this technique playing breakbeat and holy did it ever enhance the night. You could easily talk in the mixdowns and such then when the build was comming you knew you were about to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post

Especially if your hammering a filter or delay with high resonance or feedback!
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

All I do is wait until the DJ on before me hands over to me, then I slowly turn his track down a little without the floor noticing - so over a period of a few minutes. Then I start with my intro at the original volume and it changes the game.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Like I said earlier, I always tought it was something software based... Especialy with Traktor DJ's. Could be that they're routing their signal to a VST plugin and then straight out or whatever...

But thank you guys! I didn't tought it was that easy

Will try the volume trick on my next gig!

Never tought is was that easy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast