Advice On Recording A Set. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I record my own radio show and podcast every other week. I have to upload my radio show on Monday nights, so I literally record them Monday night. I just record a set in Traktor. No redo, no editing, nothing, just an honest recorded set that wasn't planned out. After I record my set I bring it into Ableton to just drop the show IDs, "your in the mix with Lance Blaise", etc...

I just think this is the most honest and true way to give my fans and potential fans a real mix from me, and something they would potentially hear me drop if I were playing live infront of them.

So there you have it, take away what you want from my 2 cents...

The only things i do, when creating a mix:

1. think about 1/2 tracks for the beginning of the set
    2. mix the rest on the fly
    3. convert the mix to mp3
    4. edit the gain of the mix
    5. upload it
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Depends what it's for man, I do mixes differently depending on if they are;

1) for my podcast
    2) for a free mix
    3) for a released compilation a label like Ministry of Sound has commissioned me to mix

If you let us know what yours is for I think you'll get even better answers than the great ones already listed above.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

yeah dude. i record everything right in traktor. no editing. i feel like if you do a whole lot of post mix editing (other than, say, cutting a 3 or 4 hour mix into manageable 1 hour sections), its not really a "live" mix. If you mess up during your mix, great, learn from it! Have fun.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    The only things i do, when creating a mix:

1. think about 1/2 tracks for the beginning of the set
    2. mix the rest on the fly
    3. convert the mix to mp3
    4. edit the gain of the mix
    5. upload it

This. Possibly edit the timing to shorten it if I want to.

-trick

Schalenberg

What about mixing in Traktor? I just recorded a an hour and half set of no sound lol. Heard I need to mix internally. Any other settings I need to make sure are set?

Tech Mentor

Was actually just recording a mix and just decided it wasn't my day. Stupid mistakes, like hitting cue in browse mode instead of load. Another one was playing almost an entire tune with ice verb on because I was paying more attention to the cue tune and cue point dropping.

Tech Guru

You have to make sure your gain is set up high enough. Look at the sound meter when you're recording.

Thank you guys for all of the advice. I am working a mix of 5 songs, should be around 20 minutes. I'll link it when I am done! Hopefully I will finish it this week!

The more you practice, the more you won't NEED to pre-plan a set. Some DJ's (including myself, if I have a big gig where I really want to be really complex with my mix) plan out all the transitions, preset cue points and everything. It works wonders, but I would never do it for every performance. It's definitely a good bet if you want to really impress people by doing some crazy stuff (like live mashups for example, which is one of my favorite things to do).

But for the most part, I just choose a tracklist of about 150 tracks or so (for an hour long set, let's say) and just pick songs as I go along. I've been doing it long enough that I can freestyle, and it definitely saves a lot of time rather than planning out a set.

But, as many have said above me, PRACTICE is the best option. Record EVERYTIME you mix, and listen to it over, find what doesn't sound good, and learn from it. That's how I learned, and just about everyone else that really wants to get better.

Good luck!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast