Advice On Recording A Set.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Advice On Recording A Set.

I need someone to describe step by step on how they go about making a mix of lets say 10 songs.

Do you record EVERYTHING, then go back and actually edit it in Ableton or FL studio?

Do you mess around and literally remember what you did and try to do it perfectly, record that part and save it? Then edit?

Do you mess around and try to make the mix nonstop after you have a general idea of what you want?

I just don't understand how you do a mix live, perfectly. Do you already know what you are doing? And how exactly did you prepare? Did you macro Que points? Or do you just go with the flow?

Or maybe you prerecord a simple transition from song to song, a general mix, and then just kinda scratch and add effects over it?

Do you master a mix? Where do you edit it?
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 07-17-2013 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Thread Title Changed To Something More Descriptive.

Hit record.
    If it sounds shit, do it again.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Hit record.
    Best way to do it!!

LOL...Practice....

You chose your songs correctly by playing around with the order you play em in.
    You will find out which tracks work with others.

Then you press record...and play. If its not perfect...you redo it.

There are shortcuts...but this defeats the purpose and you will never become a good DJ like that.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

1. Chose the tunes you wanna play, 60 or 80 mins worth.
    2. BPM em if you havent already.
    3. Beatblend music according to BPM. Record.
    4. Listen... If you dont like results, repeat, and do mix over again.

A perfect mix tape doesnt "just happen" it takes a lot of practice, trial & error.

Have a good session, #blessup

P.S. Don't be over-critical with yourself. Example, in my experience, some "mistakes" will be caught by a another DJ (trained-ear), but "John Public" will never know or will never catch the "mistake." They'll be too busy listening to the "music."

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Hit record.
    THIS! it all comes with experience, i still record every set i play... you never stop learning
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

For me, it's all about the transitions. If a transition between 2 songs and using certain techniques sounds great, I stop what I'm doing (AFTER the transition!) and make sure I write it down.

Soon, you'll have a long list of great transitions. Bang a few of 'em into a mix, and you've got yourself a nice little set to pass out.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Tony Psalms View Post
    A perfect mix tape doesnt "just happen" it takes a lot of practice, trial & error.

P.S. Don't be over-critical with yourself. Example, in my experience, some "mistakes" will be caught by a another DJ (trained-ear), but "John Public" will never know or will never catch the "mistake." They'll be too busy listening to the "music."
    I second this
    Also, when you record a mix, don't listen to it immediately - give it a day or two then listen to it with "fresh ears" and decide if you need to record again. As Tony said, we DJ's tend to focus too much on our mistakes (which are inevitable on a live mix)
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Guru

I just hit record in Traktor and mixlr and practice. I'll usually focus on one technique. For example, the last mix I made I was working on doing transitions over silences (one song quiets down, bring in maybe a chorus or something from 2nd song).

Wow lots of really taking it over the top.. What about just wingin it and counting on your skill and knowledge to assume it'll sound good. Very seldomly do I take notes only when two tracks fit so perfectly they deserve a mash up it bootleg

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast