MacBook Air for Digital Djing and Production?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default MacBook Air for Digital Djing and Production?

I am just beginning to setup my gear for Djing and also wanna go for production in the near future. Why do I not see so many MacBook Air's out htere but a lot MacBook Pro's?
    I do have a MacBook Air today but more for daily business e.g. I personally like the small size (11"), less weight but it seems I am missing some significant points.

I understand that a MacBook pro is naturally with more power and options for USB, Thunderbolt connection etc, but is that all about?

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by sw84244 View Post
    I am just beginning to setup my gear for Djing and also wanna go for production in the near future. Why do I not see so many MacBook Air's out htere but a lot MacBook Pro's?
    I do have a MacBook Air today but more for daily business e.g. I personally like the small size (11"), less weight but it seems I am missing some significant points.

I understand that a MacBook pro is naturally with more power and options for USB, Thunderbolt connection etc, but is that all about?

Thanks for your help!
    Tiny screen. DJing on a 13" screen is bad enough for me; eventually I'm going to upgrade to a Dell XPS18 tablet.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Ill be following this thread as well... I too am just starting out and already have a 13in. Air. Seems to perform screwing around with Ableton, but Ive never used any midi controllers or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Tiny screen. DJing on a 13" screen is bad enough for me; eventually I'm going to upgrade to a Dell XPS18 tablet.
    I agree.... 15" at least. It would work.... not sure if you could hook up an external monitor. Might be a good idea. They're cheap enough.

Tech Guru

ive seen carl craig and loco dice use macbook air for djing, so its plausible

Tech Mentor

It's definitely got the power. Screen size isn't a huge issue IMO. As long as you can see the font to select tracks, you're golden. You listen to music, not watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by b1sh0p View Post
    It's definitely got the power. Screen size isn't a huge issue IMO. As long as you can see the font to select tracks, you're golden. You listen to music, not watch it.
    This is what I was thinking... Ive never had a power issue with the Air as Ive ran multiple processor heavy graphics programs at the same time and still seems to have some decent life in it. I dont have any real world experience trying to use Ableton at a standing height as its always right in front of me.

Glad to know I can keep running this computer and focus my money and efforts on other aspects.

Thanks OP for making this thread. Learned something on my first day here.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I've been DJing and producing with a 13" for quite a few years now, totally possible. Wether it will work for you or not it's just a matter of personal preference.

You may not enjoy it at first, but it's certainly doable and you'll get used to it.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Quote Originally Posted by enorjy View Post
    ive seen carl craig and loco dice use macbook air for djing, so its plausible
    I've been using a 13inch Macbook Air to DJ with for years. It's more than plausible. They are easily fast enough. Screen size doesn't take long to get used to if you go with the 13 inch, it only becomes a bit cramped with more then 2 decks running. 11inch though might be a different story.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast