Can you calibrate the pitch on a CDJ-800 ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can you calibrate the pitch on a CDJ-800 ?

So a few days ago I bought a CDJ-800 for €100. I test it out at the guy's place and all the buttons do what they 're supposed to do and the jog feels okay.

I think the pitch may be off or broken or whatnot because:

I try to mix a few dubstep tracks one track on vinyl the other on the CDJ. I know for a fact they are both 140 BPM so I don't touch the pitch fader. I beatmatch the track on the CDJ, the snares line up in my headphones so it's good.
    Now when I'm mixing in the phase goes off after 5 seconds or so. Indicating that the BPM is off on the CDJ.

When I tried to figure it out I decided to treat the track on the CDJ as one with an unknown BPM, I ride the pitch fader and stuff and find out that the tracks stay in phase longer with the CDJ at -0,50% but still not quite perfect.

What's wrong and what do I do ?

(it can't be the 1210s, had them serviced in february and mixing 2 records works just fine)

i frankly thing it's more likely something to do with the vinyl/tables rather than the CDJ

Agreed. Play a song from iTunes, media player, or whatever you have and time them to that.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Tried multiple songs on the CDJ and both Technics but good idea with the itunes. I'll try that tomorrow.

But surely it must be a bit odd that both my technics have exactly the same pitch "error" then. Altough I think the dude that serviced them a few months ago also recalibrated the pitch with an oscilloscope, maybe he screwed up ? But he really seemed to know his turntables.

He could have tuned them together and been a bit off. If you use time code, you should be able to see by how much.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

I have time code vinyl but no scratch certified soundcard anymore lol

Wow and flutter will always be a thing, its simply not possible for a motor to turn at an absolutely perfect 33 1/2 RPM forever.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

So a few days ago I bought a CDJ-800 for €100
    Surprised no-one else said it ...LUCKY BASTARD!

I know for a fact they are both 140 BPM
    Vinyl will almost always have slight imperfections and variations (isn't that why we love it!). It doesnt sound like anything is wrong at all TBH.

Yeah the cdj stays in phase for ages when I beatmatch to traktor.
    So did the guy calibrating my technics do a bad job ?

I just liked that dubstep was so easy to mix and didn't have to bother with the pitch and I could bring a track in much quicker. That's all.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I wouldn't say so - certainly not if everything stays in beat when you are mixing on the turntables.

Most likely cause would be the vinyl pressing is a slightly different tempo to the digital file.

I just liked that dubstep was so easy to mix and didn't have to bother with the pitch
    huh ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast