Hybrid Setup
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Setup

Tech Convert

Default Hybrid Setup

What up djs? Im a new at the DJTT forums but an active reader of the site. I used to dj back in the day with vinyl and turntables but drifted away to guitar playing and regular bands. Lately I have been producing in the computer a lot and getting reacquainted with this whole new era of digital djing, Im feeling very passionate about it Now its time to get the proper hardware and so far Ive had crushes with all kinds of controllers such as the DDJSX, the numark NS7, the VCI400 and the regular djm800 plus cdjs setup, etc. Ive come to realize that I want a setup that allows me to go full digital (traktor and whatnot), be able to use it with ableton but still remain familiar with a standard club setup and "normal" beatmatching djing. Id call it a "hybrid" setup...

For this, I definitely need to get a mixer, but one that has an integrated audio interface, 4channels, midi control and hopefully be a wellrounded dj mixer as well. My research has led me to the following products: Allen and Heath Xone 4D, Pioneer DJM850, Korg zero4 and the Ecler EVO5 mixer. I would eventually add a behringer bcr2000 midi controller and maybe an X1 mk2. Portability is not too much of a concern and money is not either, but the value-quality proportion sure is! What do you think? Am I missing any obvious option? Do you have any experience with the mixers mentioned above?

Thanks for the feedback!

you missed Denon X1600
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by KRU2000 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Just saying in advance, this topic isn't gonna end well

Personally, I'd get yourself a 4 channel mixer and a Zomo MC-1000 to start with.

Learn the new, then add the old later if you feel you need to. Mixer-wise, if you've got money to burn (I'm guessing you're not an 18 year old kid) then you can't really go wrong with the DJM850 or the DNX1600, both of which are scratch certified and will let you add TTs or CDJs to your setup at a later date, IF you need to use them.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

It's not exactly a "hybrid" setup if your sound card has no inputs, you can only mix through a computer, and you cannot beatmatch.

The DN-X1600 looks good for the price but several people here seem to have problems with its sound card. A DJM 850 is a good buy if you can get a decent discount off the RRP.

The DDJ-SX can serve as a 4 channel standalone mixer too while giving you the whole standard setup so it might be worth a look.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Aaaaaand it begins.
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1

Tech Convert

haha I have no idea why you guys are saying this aint gonna end well, is this controversial? Didnt mean to stir things up haha! Personally, I want to drift away from the controllers because I feel "pro" equipment as a much more solid investment. I guess something like the Traktor S4 could do the trick regarding the djing but -as I read somewhere in the forum earlier- I cant really get myself to accept all that plastic and tiny jogwheels as a pro tool. I also wouldn't want to end up with an obsolete piece of gear in a couple of years as controller technology seems to be moving at a very fast pace. I noticed none of the replies included the use of ableton but I wouldnt wanna start an endless debate!

Anyways, thanks a lot mdcdesign and SlayforMoney for the suggestions, I hadnt considered Denon and that zomo unit looks pretty cool, definitely looks more reliable than most of the other controllers Ive checked.

reference: that "How I play" interview featuring Chris Liebing was really inspiring regarding the gear. I don´t play techno but I liked that his setup looks very versatile!

10 people will give you 10 different subjective suggestions.
    My suggestion: Do some research, read and watch reviews before investing in anything.
    A decent midi capable mixer is a great start.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    you missed Denon X1600
    Indeed
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Convert

well, the research has been done; my main inclination are the allen and heath products but just thought those subjective opinions might give me a better perspective on the matter. Would it be a bad idea to get the korg zero 4? I have one available at a comfortable price in my town but it has been discontinued and I cant find out the reason why

Quote Originally Posted by KRU2000 View Post
    well, the research has been done; my main inclination are the allen and heath products but just thought those subjective opinions might give me a better perspective on the matter. Would it be a bad idea to get the korg zero 4? I have one available at a comfortable price in my town but it has been discontinued and I cant find out the reason why
    The main issue with the Zero 4 is that it's FireWire, not USB. If you've got a Firewire port, it might be worth a look.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast