Buying off beatport...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Buying off beatport...

Now i have to admit since i started mixing with Traktor/Ableton/Cd's i have never bought a track because i could easily get them elsewhere. But now i have had a change of heart and have completely deleted all of the tracks i have acquired illegally and i am now starting to build up my collection again.

Confession Over...

Now my question:

Beatport charges £1 extra for .wav formats vs the Mp3 format. And i have studied Music technology for 6 years so i know all about the two formats but what i want to ask is is there a noticeable difference in clubs? On big systems?what format do you guys get and why?Also the Tax part, is there always tax on every track or just certain ones?

Thanks for your time.

Daniel

On a big system i haven't noticed much if any differences between the two. Obviously wavs are better but unless you have terrabytes of hd space hq mp3's are all good imo. As far as getting wavs off beatport goes, as far as i know the extra charge is pretty standard mate.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I've only really noticed when mp3s get below 256k, but I try to stick around 320 for almost everything I buy and rip.

I know that my rig can be louder and cleaner than cd decks a mixer at times.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

agree, I could hear that the quality was worse on big soundsystem with files below 256k, but 320s sound as good as CDs to me

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I know that my rig can be louder and cleaner than cd decks a mixer at times.
    Yes! we always have to suss out the diferent levels between me on the puter and em on the decks before a jam. i always am louder, which is a bonus
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Dude, more headroom means MORE NOISE
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

my squelchy psy beats your squelchy psy lol

Tech Wizard

can't tell a difference. i guess if you sit in the best spot in club, alone, play mp3 and wav of the same track you could tell a small difference, but never spotted any difference during a gig.

and i never play mp3s below 320 just to be sure is it really safe to play 256? i hear different opinions on this one quite often..

Tech Wizard

Cheers guys, now im off to empty my bank account with lots of tunessssssssss!

If you've got the spare cash and hard disk space, just get wavs and FLAC'em up - stays lossless and takes around half the size You can add classic ID3 tags to these, not too sure how well tpro handles ogg tags which are recommended for flacs.
    Now, why ?
    That way you can do your own edits from a cleaner base, if that's something you like to do - you want a different remix, you want to remaster somehow, the track speeds up and you want to warp it in ableton for a clean beatgrid in traktor...
    Also, you can always burn them to audio cds that will play in any deck and which you can re-rip into a perfect quality should you lose your digital files - double backup (for gigs/for your collection's safety ).

My 2c.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast