Ipad case/stand recommendations for DJing?
    Tech Convert

Default Ipad case/stand recommendations for DJing?

Can anybody recommend me a good, stable case, stand, clip or something for my ipad to use while DJing? I use lemur and want to be able to have my ipad upright and facing me, and (more importantly) be able to press the screen without having to worry about it falling over.

Any suggestions/experience?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I can recommend a great case but the stand it comes with is TERRIBLE.

I use the Ballistic Tough Jacket. The casing is awesome. Very tactile and very very protective. The case cover pops on and off easily and can be used as a base.

When you use the cover as a stand it can be knocked flat by a heavy breath. It is totally SHITE.

I would not change the Ballistic because it does the most important job of protecting the iPad extremely well. Plus if you have a self applied screen guard on it, the all round protection is awesome.

I tried my friends Griffin Survivor and the built in screen protector was way to thick (but the Griffin in camouflage looks bitchin') and not suitable for DJ applications in my opinion.

Tech Guru

Maybe a rubberised case for protection and grip, along with a Crane Stand.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Maybe a rubberised case for protection and grip, along with a Crane Stand.
    Crane has a new tablet mount that is really nice:

http://www.cranehardware.com/product...products_id/60
    TSP2 | Kontrol S4 | Pioneer DJM-800 | 2 Kontrol X1s | Kontrol F1 | Maschine | 2 Technics 1210 MK5s
    Other Cool Stuff: Serato | Dicers | Ableton Live | Launchpad | Ortofon S-120s | Ortofron Nightclubs / Headshell Mounted
    My Control Vinyl Collection: Picasa Album | Facebook Album 1 | Facebook Album 2

Tech Mentor

The Otterbox case is seriously durable. The stand it comes with is decent.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonitekillz View Post
    Crane has a new tablet mount that is really nice:

http://www.cranehardware.com/product...products_id/60
    For now Ill prefer to have an all in one case with a stand. If I find myself wanting more I will probably get the crane stand in the future. Seems a bit overkill for me though.

I've narrowed it down to three options that seem to be potentially sturdier than the typical ipad case stand:
    Otterbox defender (most protection, sturdiest?)
    Zoogue case genius/prodigy (most viewing angle options)
    Griffin standle ($4 on eBay lol)

Quote Originally Posted by b1sh0p View Post
    The Otterbox case is seriously durable. The stand it comes with is decent.
    Could you elaborate your thoughts on the stand? Do you think it'd be sturdier than a case that has its stand actually attached to it, like the zoogue?

Anyone else have any experience with any of these?
    I have an ipad 1 btw - im sure there are more viable options for newer generations.
    Last edited by noah1i8; 07-23-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Having used an Ipad (Gen 1) as my main controller surface for quite a while, I've been extremely happy with just a regular Ipad silicone case and a separate stand. I got the Omnimount IES-1 years ago, and have been extremely happy with it but am now giving a hard look at the Crane Stand Tablet Mount (as well as similar pole-mounted Ipad brackets) since I just got a Crane Stand and this would decrease my overall footprint. Either that or just a stand that folds as well for easier transportation, but I would say the most important thing is that the Ipad can rotate and swivel.

Check out http://www.thejoyfactory.com/products/mount-bundles

Pricey but top quality and covers many options

Edit: I should add that I've got the older non magnet discontinued version of this stand and case combo http://www.thejoyfactory.com/product/MMU103FL3 , fortunately I picked both up from eBay at considerable price drop from the retail cost. I couldn't find a better solution for my needs, like you I wanted a case and a stand and these work together perfectly thanks to a simple lock/release system. I love the stand, locks firm in to any position you want, seriously versatile. The case/folio thingy seems a bit bulky at first but again it's soooo versatile, works great as a pretty solid stand in portrait or landscape orientation and its super quick to whip in and out of the case to allow you to enjoy the ipad the way apple intended.

Here's a snap of the stand in action gripping itself to an iron girder confidently holding my ipad a good 8foot in mid air

Last edited by Dubba Dutch; 07-24-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Tech Convert

how are you using it in your set? are you running touchosc or are you using it for an audio source as well? if you're using it with wireless id suggest the " lifeproof " case, if you fancy moving around with it you can also buy the harness for it. if you're using it as an audio source like garageband or something around those lines try out the alesis io dock. hope this helps