Does this product even exist? For Vinyl...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Does this product even exist? For Vinyl...

So, I recently converted from an S4 to Technics and Traktor Scratch Pro. I've been buying some vinyl records, of course, in addition to using control vinyl.

I'm looking for an easy way to carry some records to a venue, so I assumed that someone out there produced a "wallet" for vinyl (similar to the CD wallets you can buy where you just put the disc in a sleeve and leave the case behind). Obviously it would be much bigger to accommodate a 12", but the concept would be the same. I could easily flip through the book and select a record from a protective sleeve, and I would leave the actual cardboard and paper record sleeves at home. It wouldn't have to hold a lot of records.

However, I can't seem to find anything like this online. Does anyone know if something like this exists? If not, obviously I could simply pack the records in their original sleeves inside a traditional DJ bag (my Mono EFX bag can hold vinyl) but it would still be nice to have the item I described. Thanks for any insight!

Tech Guru

Uhh. Why not just use like a milk crate type of thing?

Although I really do think you should use the outer sleeve. It's good protection on top of the inner sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Uhh. Why not just use like a milk crate type of thing?

Although I really do think you should use the outer sleeve. It's good protection on top of the inner sleeve.
    It seems ridiculous to bring a milk crate to a venue for just 5 to 10 records (the rest of my tracks are digital). You could make the same argument for CDs: why not just bring a crate of CDs and their cases with you?

And, I understand the protection thing, but clearly a wallet/book could presumably be made with protective sleeves that are as effective as the standard ones.

*furiously starts e-mailing his supply partners in China*
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Yeah, they used to use them for assembling albums out of singles. They were also quite popular in the 78s era. Still, for DVS users who like to spin a few bits of "real" vinyl along with their timecodes, a book that takes 10x 12" records might be pretty awesome...
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    It seems ridiculous to bring a milk crate to a venue for just 5 to 10 records (the rest of my tracks are digital). You could make the same argument for CDs: why not just bring a crate of CDs and their cases with you?

And, I understand the protection thing, but clearly a wallet/book could presumably be made with protective sleeves that are as effective as the standard ones.
    The issue is that you don't want the weight of vinyl on top of each other. The difference is that a milk crate actually fits the vinyl perfectly.

I don't like hte idea of vinyl being left in a floppy 'protective' sleeve. They need to have some rigid support. That support isn't provided in a CD wallet.

Honestly, if you're only bring 5-10 records, I don't see a need to even have a carrying case.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    The issue is that you don't want the weight of vinyl on top of each other. The difference is that a milk crate actually fits the vinyl perfectly.

I don't like hte idea of vinyl being left in a floppy 'protective' sleeve. They need to have some rigid support. That support isn't provided in a CD wallet.

Honestly, if you're only bring 5-10 records, I don't see a need to even have a carrying case.
    I could always have one manufactured with ABS plastic inserts BETWEEN the sleeves. I reckon the whole thing wouldn't cost more than $25.

That's for an EVA plastic (one of the semi-hardshell cases that are common these days) wallet with a handle as well. They make them at the moment with a 2x2 grid of CDs in EXACTLY the right size, just needs the inserts changing from a 2x2 grid to a single 12" insert.

Tech Mentor

Crane just came out with a case that holds 16 records apparently. Its quite expensive for what your getting tho.

http://www.cranehardware.com/product...d80b04c420e350
    - 15.4" MBP 2.7 i7 - Macbook 13" - Allen&Heath Xone92R - V-Moda Crossfade LP - Pioneer HDJ-2000 - Traktor Pro2 - Xone k2 - NI Maschine - Ableton Live Suite 9 -

Sound Cloud : http://soundcloud.com/alexandercocar

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    I could always have one manufactured with ABS plastic inserts BETWEEN the sleeves. I reckon the whole thing wouldn't cost more than $25.

That's for an EVA plastic (one of the semi-hardshell cases that are common these days) wallet with a handle as well. They make them at the moment with a 2x2 grid of CDs in EXACTLY the right size, just needs the inserts changing from a 2x2 grid to a single 12" insert.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast